Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is this nerdy?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:12 pm
A five yr old boy in sporty open back sandals, with ankle socks. A style similar to this: http://www.shoes.com/Mobile/Pr.....dspla

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:26 pm
We have similar shoes. I can't bring myself to do the socks and sandals thing. My mother in law always puts him in these sandals when he is already wearing socks. He just looks silly. I have never seen any "fashionably with-it" mothers put their kids in socks and sandals. Yuck- no offense. Just reminds me of my old polish nanny

chanee

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:30 pm
am I missing something? I don't see what's wrong

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:33 pm
Ouch. Sandals with socks are classic nerdocity (nerdaciousness?). But as I've said before, fashion "rules" don't apply to five-year-olds.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:39 pm
Venerable Zaq, I respectfully disagree. Nobody should look bad ever at any age. JMHO.

itssimplyme

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:56 pm
the link won't open for me

Happy18

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 6:00 pm
itssimplyme wrote:
the link won't open for me

Same, but socks and sandals are nerdy.

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 6:13 pm
Happy18 wrote:
Same, but socks and sandals are nerdy.

Oddly enough, they're hipster chic this summer.

I still hate the look.

OTOH, the kid is 5. Who cares?

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 6:16 pm
Maybe it's kind of European looking.

rachel91

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 6:20 pm
Those sandals are still quite closed and would look okay with socks (but why knee- high socks??).
I also think that a 30+ year old man would look way worse with sandals + socks (I'm keeping quiet about what else this look entails, lol), than a 5 year old.
Still maybe keep the color of the socks neutral, not something like red socks with blue and green cars on them.

Last edited by rachel91 on Wed, Aug 20 2014, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 6:43 pm
OP

I wrote ankle socks not knee socks. They aren't really sandals so much as open back sneakers. Does that help? I never put my kids in socks and sandals but for certain reasons this kid really wants those shoes and he won't wear them without socks. I'm still debating.

rachel91

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
OP

I wrote ankle socks not knee socks. They aren't really sandals so much as open back sneakers. Does that help? I never put my kids in socks and sandals but for certain reasons this kid really wants those shoes and he won't wear them without socks. I'm still debating.

Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood.
Yes, as I wrote before it would be OK since these shoes are almost closed anyways. And he is only 5 years old.
I would debate now, about whether it isn't going to be too cold for these shoes soon ( since its quite cold here already).

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:35 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Venerable Zaq, I respectfully disagree. Nobody should look bad ever at any age. JMHO.

The very young are always adorable. The only way a very young child can be made to look bad is through abuse or lack of care: being dirty, unkempt, bruised, ragged, underfed or ill. So long as a child that young is healthy, clean, well-fed and cared for, getups that on an adult would be major fashion faux pas are amusing at worst, otherwise, just cute.
Exception: T-shirts with offensive slogans are never cute, no matter how young the wearer. But, then, dressing a child in a T-shirt with an offensive or derogatory slogan is itself a form of abuse.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
OP

The kid wants socks? let him wear socks. If it doesn't bother him, why should it bother you? Choose your battles wisely. When your 5-y/o wants to wear a T-shirt and shorts in a blizzard, you put your foot down. If your 5-y/o wants to wear a frayed T-shirt with gravy stains to shul on Shabbos, you put your foot down. When your 5-y/o wants to wear a plaid shirt with a striped tie, or Bermuda shorts with knee socks and a white patent leather belt, or a button-front shirt buttoned all the way up to the top button without a tie--let him. He'll outgrow this and it's not worth making an issue of it. Certainly not making him feel bad about his fashion IQ at this tender age .

If he still wants to wear socks and sandals when he's 25 and going on a date or a job interview--THEN make an issue of it.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:50 pm
OP again

I'm not going to force him to wear shoes without socks, I'm just debating if it's worth buying the shoes in the first place if he's going to look very nerdy in them. I know it's at least mildly nerdy I just can't decide if it's really nerdy.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:
OP again

I'm not going to force him to wear shoes without socks, I'm just debating if it's worth buying the shoes in the first place if he's going to look very nerdy in them. I know it's at least mildly nerdy I just can't decide if it's really nerdy.

if he likes them, who cares if you think he looks nerdy?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:25 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
if he likes them, who cares if you think he looks nerdy?

I care how my kids dress because I think it reflects on me. I buy them lots of things that they want even though I prefer different styles but at a certain point I'm not comfortable any more. It isn't like a two year old who wears rain boots every day and everyone who sees can figure out that it's the kid's own thing.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
I care how my kids dress because I think it reflects on me. I buy them lots of things that they want even though I prefer different styles but at a certain point I'm not comfortable any more. It isn't like a two year old who wears rain boots every day and everyone who sees can figure out that it's the kid's own thing.

So at what point does it stop being "the kid's own thing" and start to become a reflection on you? I think this is really important to figure out.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:59 pm
I wasn't meaning for this to turn into a parenting thing really, just a fashion thing. He chose two pairs that he likes, this and another one. I don't really like the other one but I do like this one. If people think it's very nerdy with socks I'll just get the other pair and he'll be just as happy.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:30 pm
Sorry to have brought it up. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm with Chanee above.
You would never have to worry about my thinking he's a reflection on you Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics