Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help! meal planning on vacation with just hotel room

malkacooks

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 1:30 pm
hi all, I'm going up to the white mountains with my family and we just rented a hotel room no kitchenette but we do have a fridge. we are only staying 2 days. I plan on bringing a crockpot. would love some help with meal planning ideas for breakfast lunch and dinner. we will be at storyland for lunch so I will need to pack sandwiches in a cooler. would love some help as I've never traveled as a family before. (we are three adults and three kids).

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 1:55 pm
Breakfast: cereal and milk, yogurt, bananas or other fruit, instant oatmeal using coffee maker to boil water.

Lunch: sandwiches with cheese, peanut butter, deli meat. Hard boiled eggs. Sliced veggies (you can prepare both at home before trip).

Snacks: string cheese, crackers, fruits, nuts, pretzels, baby carrots.

Dinner: crock pot, use liners for easy clean up. Beef stew with potatoes, carrots, celery, and any other root vegetables you like. Use baby red potatoes, shallots and baby carrots if you want to avoid peeling and chopping. You can prepare all veggies besides potatoes at home if you prefer. Use a box of broth to cook it all in. Serve with crusty bread or rolls.

Second night can be chicken and potatoes. Easiest would be baby red potatoes so you don't have to peel. Place those at the bottom, put chicken pieces on top, and season well. You can mix up spices at home and put in a ziploc bag so you don't have to bring a ton with you. No other ingredients needed for that recipe. Bring a bag of lettuce and grape tomatoes and toss with jarred salad dressing, and you have a salad with it.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 2:14 pm
isnt there a place to buy chalav yisroel nearby. I know lots of frum pp vacation in the area...

malkacooks

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:19 pm
I love your ideas, I'm just not sure about the stew when its 80 degrees outside... has anyone ever put things like hotdogs and hamburgers in the crockpot?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:34 pm
malkacooks wrote:
I love your ideas, I'm just not sure about the stew when its 80 degrees outside... has anyone ever put things like hotdogs and hamburgers in the crockpot?

For 2 days I wouldn't bother with bringing a crock pot! Instead I'd bring packages of cold cuts to make wraps or sandwiches with. If your family won't eat that 2 nights in a row, make chicken cutlets (however they like to eat them) at home and bring them with. Other foods that I like eating room temperature are meat loaf, roast chicken (on the bone), etc. to go with it id bring (make it buy depending on your preference) a whole bunch of salads like cole slaw, potato salad, pasta sald etc)

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:36 pm
You can do meatballs and spaghetti if you want. Make the spaghetti at home. Freeze formed raw meat balls and put them in the crock, pour a jar of marinara over to cook.

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:48 pm
Sandwich maker, george foreman grill and presto griddle to the rescue!!!

booboo24

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 5:00 pm
Easy meal is deli and bring fresh bread....add some cut up vegetables and
Chips...you can also do schnitzel that's already been cooked. At room temp it should be good you can
Also out those in a baguette and have a fuller meal. If you bring along cooked pasta and leave it to room temp. Add in the schnitzel or grilled chicken pour some pasta sauce over it.

Debbig

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 6:40 pm
I find a sandwich maker meals easy on vacations. I take bread ketchup cheese and some veg.
Enjoy.

malkacooks

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:59 pm
thank you all for your ideas. I had competently forgotten about the sandwich maker. I will bring that along. I htought of cold cuts but I'm afraid of it being in the cooler during the 5.5 hour drive up. you dont think it will spoil right?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:02 pm
Cold cuts wont spoil in 5 hours.
Will you have a microwave? U can take frozen meals in plastic containers and then double wrap it for microwave.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:03 pm
Fill the cooler with ice

momx6

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:05 pm
What about barbecue for supper? I was at storyland last week, we put a cooler bag under the stroller with a lot of ice - we kept yogurt, tuna, cold cuts and of course tons of drinks! It worked fine. Just make sure to have a great quality cooler bag that won't leak. Have fun!

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:08 pm
If you soak ramen noodles long enough they will fully cook, even in cold water.
Not healthy though

momX4

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:12 pm
plug in burner is amazing.

Defrost pizza in fridge and warm on frying pan. Use pan to make omlets for breakfast and sandwich maker will make pancakes. They sell frozen pancake mix that keeps well in the fridge.

A disposable grill is great for franks, but a portable (outdoor only) gas grill isnt expensive and you can make burgers, chicken and steak.

malkacooks

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:41 pm
thanks momx4. I just ordered a gas grill online for 35 bucks I cant belive how cheep it was
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics