Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
48"or Full?

bookworm10

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:18 pm
I know that there has been talk on this topic, but I wanted to ask my own question.

Right now we have 39" beds. They are small. My kids climb in and I fall out. We are planning to purchase bigger beds for our home.

The room is not so big, and I'd rather not overwhelm the room with the beds. We also don't have a lot of money. So my question is, is it way more worth it to buy the full size 54" beds and lose the 12" we would save from 48? Or are there places to get cheaper 48 inch beds? Or is 48 inches still too small to share with kids in the bed?

{And Im not even beginning to talk about the linen}

Help. Thanks Smile

kb

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:28 pm
Think about linen, and get the full. (And headboards and mattress covers..)

Last edited by kb on Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:28 pm
I would do full Smile)
Right now I have 48" and my room is small. I wish I had full beds!!!!!
It's very annoying to be stuffed in a small room - so that's something you need to decide for urself Smile).
Good luck!!!!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:45 pm
I have 48 inch. My mother insisted on getting that (she would've done twin) saying I might not have ths space for full. As it is, my bedroom is big enough. I could've gotten full. And the linen would be cheaper and with more choices. With 48 inch, you are limited to Jewish companies for linen.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 2:50 pm
Personally I like the get the biggest size that fits. 48 or any other custom size doesn't make sense to me unless someone really doesn't have room for larger.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:46 pm
I have 48" and regret every minute of it.

No none of us fall out (and I have slept with 2 kids in with me) but 54" is bigger and bigger is always nicer not to mention it is so much easier to find linen for 54" (full) and cheaper too.

48" is custom so think custom linen prices. $$$$$$.

agreer

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:55 pm
Another vote for full.

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:02 pm
54" full is the best size for you. 48" linens are hard to find and expensive.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 6:15 pm
You can totally use regular full fitted sheets on 48" beds, they're just a drop loose. And if you add a memory foam mattress pad, they are almost just right.
comforters or duvet covers in full/queen are fine.

I recently had custom headboards made: you can see them here.

It was a bit pricey but well worth it for me, as I have the storage room now and can actually find my tissue box/hand lotion/dental floss etc when I am in bed. They might also be able to make them for you for less if you use less expensive woods. Also, I think if I were doing it again I might make the depth a bit less. They are 12" deep, I think, which is good for books etc, but it does take up a bit of space as my room isn't very big.

If headboards are important to you, you should price them first.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:31 pm
I have done both. I did not like the cost of custom everything for the 48's. I didn't like having to buy it only at frum stores. There are ways around it with buying full sheets and headboards a bit wider.

For us we fit more comfortably in a 54. Think chubby or pregnant. a total of one foot isn't that much difference either way. However, I don't like that my room is wall to wall bedding. I have considered going to 39" downsizing to have more space and air.

You can always kick your kids out of your beds and save $ but I am sure you already considered that.

granolamom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:49 pm
we sized up to 48 from twin a few years ago. one problem with 48 is that very few companies make them so you have less to choose from, and the ones out there are not the greatest quality. ours were so lousy that we ended up getting most of our money back after a year because the box spring and mattresses had sagged so badly.
then we bought full sized beds which yes, overwhelm the room, but I LOVE them! shabbos morning I wake up to a bedful of kids and we all fit (mostly)! I can find sheets easily -anywhere- because they arent that odd size. and really, my bedroom is not ending up in a decorating magazine anytime soon anyway so big deal that the beds dont fit between the windows exactly. and you get used to anything, at first I hated the way it looked but now I dont even notice.
so I vote for the full.

Shirley

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:52 pm
Just needed to note that I found that Full size linen work perfectly well on the 48" bed, they just aren't overly snug. I kinda prefer the fact that I don't have tug so hard that my hand gets imprints from the elastic.

If space is an issue, I would definitely do 48" and regular Full linen.

(I currently have 39" - Twin in my city home and luxuriate in the 48" in my summer home. The room is big enough and could have accommodated Full, but what would I have done with all that space?! The fact that were both on the really small side, probably is a relevant factor though...)

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:22 pm
For sure full!!! I would never ger 48 because if the linen and the custom size. I have full now and love them but hopefully upgrading soon to queen size.

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:11 pm
I'm not in the market, but would the full size linen fit on the three quarter size bed?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:12 pm
I just got new beds and was thinking of getting full but ended up with 48 and I'm happy with my decision. I don't know where you live but sleepys in Brooklyn on McDonald ave has 48 and I love the beds I got. I would rather have the extra space since my room would be very crowded with 54. Space on the beds is not an issue - when the beds are together, it is bigger than a king size, and separate there is more than enough room and I am sure some kids can fit with you. Linen not a big issue because full size sheets fits, so can use that. As far as headboards, a lot of headboards are wider than the actual bed, which will be a problem if you want to push the beds together because then you will have a gap in middle, so I will need to make custom ones anyway. All in all, if you have the space, go for 54, but if the room is going to be very crowded, I would go for 48.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:48 pm
The first thing my husband and I are going to buy once we decide where/when we're moving is Full sized beds/mattresses and linens.

The REALLY stupid thing is that because the 48" headboards are custom and more expensive, I have the Full sized headboards and 48" mattresses because we had already picked out linen (we were living for 3 months in a furnished apt first and had bought the linen while engaged). I should have gone with the Full mattresses and just bought new sheets. So the headboards take up the room, but I don't have those actual extra inches as part of my bed. Totally regret it.

nyer1

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:06 am
I vote full. I recently bought full size beds from macys. they have great sales on furniture near major US holidays like labor day / memorial day etc. I am SO happy with them. delivery was a pleasure as well

frayda

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:12 pm
I have 48" but don't have headboards or anything to go with it. My bedroom simply can't handle any wider, it's tight as it is - sort of thinking about downgrading to twin, but I don't really want to compromise on the comfort the 48" gives. It's definitely roomy enough, even with a kid in the bed. I do sometimes use full sized sheets on the beds, and it hasn't really been an issue. I say, if your room is on the smaller side, than go for the smaller size.

mommy's daughter

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:22 pm
I went from 48" to full and I love it. The price was the same only the linen is much more expensive in the heimisha stores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics