Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Challah and low carb flour substitute
1  2  Next

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 7:52 pm
I would like to make hamotzi challah that is lower in carbs.
I don't know who to ask, and the Rabbonim I did ask did not know who I can ask.
I want to mix spelt with a low carb flour (maybe coconut flour).
What percentage of the flour needs to be spelt ( or WW, oat).

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:48 am
BUMP

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:03 am
Anyone

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:51 pm
Skip the challah?

I believe that the lower the percentage of hamotzi flour, the more you have eat in order to bentch.

marina

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:39 pm
flax seed flour is good and also almond flour

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:41 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Skip the challah?

I believe that the lower the percentage of hamotzi flour, the more you have eat in order to bentch.

Do you mean that the hamotzi flour has to be at least 51% of the total flour used.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:16 pm
cbg wrote:
Do you mean that the hamotzi flour has to be at least 51% of the total flour used.

No.

I was looking into a recipe that used 1/3 hamotzi flour a while back and was told I could wash on that, but would need to eat 3 kezeisim in order to bentch ( as opposed to 1 kezayis when it's fully hamotzi)

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:43 pm
I was told the same. The hamotzi flour should be at least 1/6 of the total flour amount. The amount required to be eaten in order to say birkat hamazon corresponds to that ratio. 1/6 hamotzi flour = you must eat six kezaytim. 1/3 hamotzi flour = you must eat three kezaytim.

However, you should really clarify this with your own rav. I'm kind of surprised that he can't look this up for you.

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:17 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I was told the same. The hamotzi flour should be at least 1/6 of the total flour amount. The amount required to be eaten in order to say birkat hamazon corresponds to that ratio. 1/6 hamotzi flour = you must eat six kezaytim. 1/3 hamotzi flour = you must eat three kezaytim.

However, you should really clarify this with your own rav. I'm kind of surprised that he can't look this up for you.

My Rav is DH. He's usually good about answering questions, but I think he's afraid of what healthy concoction I may come up with. The last smoothie had 1/4 of an avocado pit. He drank it, because I heard it lowers cholesterol, but asked me not to do that again.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:05 pm
I don't think you would end up consuming less carbs because you'll have to eat so much anyway to have enough for birkat.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:31 pm
Sorry to derail, but why is it a problem if you have to eat more in order to bentch? Why don't you just eat less and say borei nefashos?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:37 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I don't think you would end up consuming less carbs because you'll have to eat so much anyway to have enough for birkat.

Yup, agree.

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:29 pm
seeker wrote:
Sorry to derail, but why is it a problem if you have to eat more in order to bentch? Why don't you just eat less and say borei nefashos?

I'm trying to find the healthiest challah that requires one to eat only 1 kazayit. I've just started paleo diet and it's helping with my arthritis and fatigue.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:32 pm
cbg wrote:
I'm trying to find the healthiest challah that requires one to eat only 1 kazayit. I've just started paleo diet and it's helping with my arthritis and fatigue.

Most people I know just don't challah if they have food restrictions for whatever reason.

But if you really want to do it, and just eat the minimum kezayit, I would do whole spelt.

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:43 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Most people I know just don't challah if they have food restrictions for whatever reason.

But if you really want to do it, and just eat the minimum kezayit, I would do whole spelt.

Is whole spelt better than whole wheat for inflammation?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:56 pm
I don't know that any research has been done to indicate that one grain is more likely to cause inflammation than another. However, if you really do find that even whole grains cause an inflammatory response in you, I would try gluten free oat flour. It is hamotzi.

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:01 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I don't know that any research has been done to indicate that one grain is more likely to cause inflammation than another. However, if you really do find that even whole grains cause an inflammatory response in you, I would try gluten free oat flour. It is hamotzi.

What does oat challah taste like. Is it very dense.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:04 pm
The ones I've tasted are not dense at all. I'm sure it depends on your recipe and the ratio of oat flour to other gf flours.

Emotional

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:25 pm
What kind of diet is a paleo diet?

cbg

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 7:24 am
Emotional wrote:
What kind of diet is a paleo diet?

Paleo diet rules
1. No grains
2. No legumes
3. No dairy
4. Only unprocessed foods
5. Healthy natural fats (NO vegetable oils or margerine) olive oil, coconut oil, avocado.
6. My plate look approximately 50% veggies, 45% protein, 5% healthy fat in volume, NOT CALORIES ( in calorie %[I] healthy [/I]fats are closer to 50%)

What can you eat
Protein, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, healthy fats

I'm just starting out, so I'm trying to learn myself.

Oh I forgot No Sugar or Artificial Sweetener ( there's a list)

Funny, every time I eat cholent I can barely walk after and I get a lot of pain in my knees.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen