Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
11 MO not Laughing

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:47 am
I'm not a first time mother. I have 4 older children, but then there's a 6 year gap before the baby.

She's not quite 11 months old, and the sweetest thing on earth. She's still BF, but enjoys any solids she can find, crawls well, and is beginning to take her first steps. She's also generally a happy baby.

But she doesn't laugh. I've gotten the occasional 2-second giggle while BF, but that's it. Smiles, yes. Laughs, no.

Also, I would swear I've heard her say a couple of words, like "OK" and "good job." But she doesn't say Mama or Dada, and almost never babbles.

Am I forgetting the way things are? Should I be worried?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:05 am
You are her mother, you have Binah Yeseirah when it comes to your children. It sounds like you are worried. Why not have your child evaluated, or speak to your pediatrician about your concerns?

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:37 am
It's probably a good idea to ask the pediatrician. He might agree with you, or he might point out reasons not to worry.

BUT... if the doctor isn't worried and you still are not reassured, you can and should get her evaluated. Doctors are not always correct in this area.

If you do get her evaluated, you should probably call within the next week or so to schedule the evaluation, and try to schedule it for when she is 12 months old. Don't take her when she's under a year, because they are much more generous with services once a child has passed his/her first birthday.

Some questions: How's her eye contact? Does she understand language when you speak to her? Does she point to body parts when asked? Does she enjoy engaging with other children? Does she play appropriately with her toys? These are things that might give you a bigger picture and you determine if there is a problem.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:55 am
I would check hearing first. Both the lack of babbling and not laughing are possible indicators of problems in that area.

bnm

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:47 pm
pediatricians aren't always on top of developmental things like that.

solo

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:30 pm
My son was the same. Except he was my oldest and I thought he was perfect. I had him evaluated after 2 yrs old. Bh he's a heathy smart 3 yr old. But sorry I didn't get him services sooner.

bnm

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:38 pm
My oldest was very quick. They always say not to compare your kids and that each kid is different so I thought my second one was 'normal'. He didn't babble much, was a quiet good kid, very active but wouldn't play with toys. I had him evaluated at 14/15 months and he is still getting therapy now at 3. He needed tubes, glasses and has made so much progress B"H, its amazing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics