Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey-help me find a neighborhood...

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:33 pm
Were looking to buy a house in Monsey iyH. We want a neighborhood where we will fit in and have others our type. Obviously not everyone has to be the same type Wink , but at least a few.
So, our kids are going to YSV.
DH is a working guy who wears white shirts. He doesn't want to be the only white shirt in the neighborhood.
I'm careful about covering my knees and hair all the way.
Prefer a quieter area so kids can ride bikes and play out without it being too busy.
Prefer a neighborhood type feel, where people are friendly and there are lots of kids (our oldest is 8), and where there's a shul with a Rabbi, not just a minyan.
Neighborhoods that were suggested to us are Scotland Hill in Chestnut Ridge, the Pleasant Ridge area and the Ardley/Astor area.

Any suggestions/ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:12 pm
What about Forshay Wesley

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:17 pm
I'm the amother from the other monsey thread. You sounds like us...we should be neighbors! The only difference is were sefardi and my kids are a little younger than yours.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:18 pm
amother wrote:
What about Forshay Wesley

Thanks for your reply!
Two neighborhoods I mentioned (pleasant ridge and astor) are in forshay and wesley hills. I'm looking for specific neighborhoods/streets though.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:21 pm
Scotland Hill is too new and too small. What about South Monsey in Chestnut Ridge?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:23 pm
Pleasant ridge is a good idea. Lots of nice families, although some may be a little older than you. Friendly, quiet, frum and low key.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the amother from the other monsey thread. You sounds like us...we should be neighbors! The only difference is were sefardi and my kids are a little younger than yours.

Smile hey, actually my grandparents are sefardi.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:27 pm
"Dutch" area of Wesley Hills: specifically Amsterdam /Van Winkle / Glenbrook
Right on border with Forshay. Lots of YSV kids. Not only young people like Scotland Hill (a plus imho) but lots of kids. The families who have been buying the past year or two mostly have oldests about the age of yours or a few years younger or older.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
Scotland Hill is too new and too small. What about South Monsey in Chestnut Ridge?

No its not small. There are 2 shuls and as of a year ago over 40 families.

There is a new neighborhood around childrens park, its growing constantly.

South Monsey in chestnut ridge, if you mean The Birds it has a big chasidish present, expect for Dyksras.

I personally feel the OP will do well around Scotland Hill area. I dont know how old your kids are, but the crowd is fairly young. My 9 yr old is in YSV and has classmates that live there, but they may be one of the oldest. I am unsure about the shul/rabbi deal. If you call Reality teams they can help you with any questions you have. They are the ones that got frum yidden to move and spread out a bit.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
Smile hey, actually my grandparents are sefardi.

That's funny.
Who originally suggested to you where you would fit in? A realtor?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
That's funny.
Who originally suggested to you where you would fit in? A realtor?

Yeah, a real estate agent. But I was trying to see if there are more areas that would be a good fit that are worth looking at because the neighborhoods I mentioned don't have much available now.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
"Dutch" area of Wesley Hills: specifically Amsterdam /Van Winkle / Glenbrook
Right on border with Forshay. Lots of YSV kids. Not only young people like Scotland Hill (a plus imho) but lots of kids. The families who have been buying the past year or two mostly have oldests about the age of yours or a few years younger or older.

Thanks! I will look into that area.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:

South Monsey in chestnut ridge, if you mean The Birds it has a big chasidish present, expect for Dyksras.

I personally feel the OP will do well around Scotland Hill area. I dont know how old your kids are, but the crowd is fairly young. My 9 yr old is in YSV and has classmates that live there, but they may be one of the oldest. I am unsure about the shul/rabbi deal. If you call Reality teams they can help you with any questions you have. They are the ones that got frum yidden to move and spread out a bit.

Thanks for your reply. I really like the scotland hill area, didn't realize there was already more than 1 shul. The childrens park area sounds nice. I can't seem to figure out what the crowd is like. But it feels a bit too far out for me...its such a long drive to shopping, and my kids will have such a long bus commute!!

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:46 am
If you are interested in the Scotland hill area, which I agree is great, please PM me. I know of several off the market sales there.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! I will look into that area.

There are a couple of 'for sale' signs around now in the area Very Happy

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I really like the scotland hill area, didn't realize there was already more than 1 shul. The childrens park area sounds nice. I can't seem to figure out what the crowd is like. But it feels a bit too far out for me...its such a long drive to shopping, and my kids will have such a long bus commute!!

The bus commute isnt the best. The bus from the 45 area may start before 7:30, based on what time my kids get onto that bus. For the boys, they got the boys on a small bus for the way home, so one way the commute isnt long.

the childrens park area is very spread out, but its only a 5-8 minute drive, no traffic from 45 and old nyack. All groceries deliver to there. There is a kollel that was originally by Kirias Radin moved there. There is a chasidish cluster there as well. I know some litvish people that live there as well.

Why dont you come to the neighborhood one day and drive around?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:40 am
amother wrote:

It is like living in a village. I lived in an area like that for a while. It lacks the cohesiveness of a neighborhood. Why move to Monsey unless you want to live in a frum area? What happens if you don't like the Rabbi or the shul? There are no nearby stores or Jewish owned coffee places.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:20 pm
Waiting for your PM...

mandr

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:18 pm
My cousin lives in the Pinebrook area near 45 and the buses of her kids' schools won't even drive there - she has to drive them to school herself. It's nuts IMHO.

Maybe the New Hempstead area around Sandy Brook park.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:52 pm
If I could buy a house Smile,
I would go to Wesley hills rd or Jill kiln
It looks like New Hampshire so close to city
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating