Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Cheders and schools in Monsey

proudmother1

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 8:09 pm
Hi! We are moving to Monsey, and are looking for a suitable cheder and school. We are Chassidishe, but not "modern" Chassidishe (as I've seen it described in other posts.) My husband does not touch his beard, and my boys wear long, curly peyos. We are looking for a cheder that is focused on toirah and good middos. Our children are bright and talented kids, with the potential to be a Manhig Hador given the right opportunities. We are looking for a place where TV is forbidden etc. but not a place where the mother is a "shiksa" if she drives. We were recommended to Bais Dovid. Can anyone tell me from their own or family experience what the cheder really is like? Is potching the norm there? I was told that it is a real mix of litvish/yeshivish/chassidish, but that chassidishe is the minority. Will my boys fit in?
Also, someone mentioned a private little cheder "Imrei Shefer" as being excellent. Anyone know?
As for schools....any advice? Is Bais Shifra Miriam OK?
I remember Bais Rochel from 20 years ago as a pretty nice school. I was told it took a dive for the worse. True?

mammele26

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 9:04 pm
First of all, welcome to imamother! I never met an imamother on the day she joined!
Mabe you want to tell us what kind of school/cheder your children are in now (if that's the type of school you're looking for), so we get a better picture of what you're looking for?

gold21

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 9:12 pm
Bais Rochel is a great school for yeshivish and chassidish girls. What do you mean "it took a dive for the worse"? Did it become less yeshivish or something? "Less yeshivish" does not equal "worse", it just equals "different". I hope you would agree. What about Pupa (sp?) for your daughters? Someone I was friendly with about 6 years ago told me that Pupa is a neutral-chassidish school (whatever that means) and that mothers are allowed to drive there.

yummydd

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:03 pm
gold21 wrote:
Bais Rochel is a great school for yeshivish and chassidish girls. What do you mean "it took a dive for the worse"? Did it become less yeshivish or something? "Less yeshivish" does not equal "worse", it just equals "different". I hope you would agree. What about Pupa (sp?) for your daughters? Someone I was friendly with about 6 years ago told me that Pupa is a neutral-chassidish school (whatever that means) and that mothers are allowed to drive there.

Pupa is a very chassidish school, I highly doubt the would allow mothers who drive there....

ccc

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:25 pm
boys: imrei shefer sounds like a good choice for you, or munkach(?)
girls: bais malka, bais shifra m., bais rochel is he** to get into,

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:28 pm
proudmother1 wrote:
Hi! We are moving to Monsey, and are looking for a suitable cheder and school. We are Chassidishe, but not "modern" Chassidishe (as I've seen it described in other posts.) My husband does not touch his beard, and my boys wear long, curly peyos. We are looking for a cheder that is focused on toirah and good middos. Our children are bright and talented kids, with the potential to be a Manhig Hador given the right opportunities. We are looking for a place where TV is forbidden etc. but not a place where the mother is a "shiksa" if she drives. We were recommended to Bais Dovid. Can anyone tell me from their own or family experience what the cheder really is like? Is potching the norm there? I was told that it is a real mix of litvish/yeshivish/chassidish, but that chassidishe is the minority. Will my boys fit in?
Also, someone mentioned a private little cheder "Imrei Shefer" as being excellent. Anyone know?
As for schools....any advice? Is Bais Shifra Miriam OK?
I remember Bais Rochel from 20 years ago as a pretty nice school. I was told it took a dive for the worse. True?

BD is a real mix, though not so chasidish but it's hard to know from the above if your boys will fit in.

I don't know why, but your description doesn't give enough for me to feel confident in saying this or that.

proudmother1

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 11:39 pm
ccc wrote:
boys: imrei shefer sounds like a good choice for you, or munkach(?)
girls: bais malka, bais shifra m., bais rochel is he** to get into,

proudmother1

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 11:48 pm
I heard that Bais Rochel became very elitist. Not quite how I want to raise my kids.

proudmother1

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 8:29 am
BD is a real mix, though not so chasidish but it's hard to know from the above if your boys will fit in.

I don't know why, but your description doesn't give enough for me to feel confident in saying this or that.[/quote]

Can you tell me who "fits in" and who doesn't? Also, I am very interested in what is going on inside the cheder after the "fitting in" phase has been established. Thank you all for your help.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 8:51 pm
Hi,

We are moving to Monsey and have not yet decided where to send our boys , we got good info on Imrei Shefer , can anyone who knows that chider personally elaborate more about it, what is its strong points, what type of crowd , we are chasidish coming from a typical brooklyn chasidish chider

TIA

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 9:04 pm
I know someone who sent to Imrei Shaffer and was very unhappy. She said she didn't feel like it was running the way an established school should be running. She put her boys in there because they had promised a special learning program for her older son, but never delivered, so she changed them to Bais Dovid, where she is much happier.

I know you only asked about Imre Shaffer so I won't mention an info on the other chedarim. If you heard good info on it and you trust the information, that's great. As I said, I have no personal experience with the cheder and I am only sharing what a friend told me.

Maya

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 9:52 pm
Imrei Shefer is currently working up their education and their reputation. They are beginning to train the rebbes in a new style of teaching and engaging children, something based on the Montessori style but in a regular classroom setting. If you heard good information from someone you trust, go by it. We have looked into it and were happy with what we saw.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 11:42 pm
Klausenburg is a great "neutral chassidish" cheder. Many of the mothers there drive.
Bais Rochel is a great school with an excellent mix of chassidish and litvish but EXTREMELY hard to get into. I haven't experienced any elitist attitude, but the classes are packed to capacity and they really can't accept everyone who applies due to space constraints. They do get some new kids every year so you can definitely try. Just know that the initial answer will probably be no, but you don't have to accept that - just keep trying again and again and you might be lucky enough to get in.
Bais Shifra Miriam might be a good fit but I would hesitate to send there. It hasn't been very stable (financially) in the last few years so I would advise you to really research it well. There is a new chassidish girls school named Bnos Derech Yisroel with a parent body similar to Imrei Shufer and Munkatch. I don't know much about it but maybe you should ask around about it.

Hatzlocho.

blad

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 1:33 am
Before we moved to Monsey, we did much research about schools in Monsey, we decided on Imrei Shefer. I could personally tell you we are very happy by this choice, our kids are very happy with the cheder. All in all it’s a fantastic place. The Menahel has a great reputation in education. The Rabbiem are so warm and devoted. The cap of 18 kids per class, unlike Bais Duvid and other mosdos in Monsey who have about 30 kids per class gives me a great feeling when I send my boys off to cheder. There is something about knowing my child gets individual attention from his Rebbi, rather than being treated as another number in his classroom.
The parent body I would categorized from frum chassidish to mediuem chassidish, if you want more modern chassidish than probably Ateres Tzvi would be more your type. Hatzlocha in your decision

Last edited by blad on Sat, Oct 24 2015, 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sugar plum

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 7:24 am
Munkatch sounds like it might be a good fit.
I've heard that dovid does potch in the older grades.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:16 pm
Hello. we use to send to another well established cheder here in monsey, we now send to imrei shufer we are extremely happy, you cant compare the melamedim in imrei shufer to the other "well established cheder" also I'm very happy that they have a very serious English department. after being a proud parent for almost 2 years I could say: imrei shufer is for people who care for there kid to have the best education Kodesh & Chol

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:18 pm
Hello. we use to send to another well established cheder here in monsey, we now send to imrei shufer we are extremely happy, you cant compare the melamedim in imrei shufer to the other "well established cheder" also I'm very happy that they have a very serious English department. after being a proud parent for almost 2 years I could say: imrei shufer is for people who care for there kid to have the best education Kodesh & Chol

lash-b

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:18 pm
Hi I dont know if this is still relevant but I sent to munkatch and my boys are extremely happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics