Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cooking for Shabbos with no oven and no energy

yamz

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:35 pm
I need some ideas please.

We were supposed to go away for Shabbos, but our plans fell through suddenly. Now I have to cook for Shabbos, but the oven is broken. I have limited ingredients because I didn't think we would be home to consume any perishables. I cannot go shopping with three small children at this time of day. Also, it's the end of the day, so I have no energy left. So what can I make that is tasty but does not take a lot of effort and does not need to be baked/roasted/reheated in the oven?

Oh, and I have no slow cooker either, because the knob broke two weeks ago and I forgot all about it until now. (We very rarely eat cholent.)

I can make a quick trip to the store tomorrow for a few things, but I won't have much time to cook, so I will only purchase items which can be cooked quickly (like fish) or eaten raw.

I have no meat or chicken in the house, but we don't mind having a vegetarian Shabbos. We need food for all the meals. We can have soup Friday night because I can wrap it, but otherwise no way to keep anything like rice warm.
Obviously, I will buy challah. I plan to buy salmon or some other fish for at least one meal. We will also have a fresh salad. I would rather not eat pasta as I am sick of it.

Thankfully, I do have a fairly well-stocked pantry including:

yukon gold potatoes
rice
barley
penne pasta
garlic
carrots
celery
eggs
frozen broccoli
canned tomatoes
dried beans
canned tuna
various cheeses

Any and all ideas are appreciated!

penguin

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:46 pm
One thing that comes to mind is a rice salad with tuna. Add scallions, finely cut up vegetables (those you have or buy some more).

Potato salad, of course.

Would you leave a blech on top of the stove, or rather have cold food in the daytime? Do you have an urn so you can at least have a hot drink?

OutATowner

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:53 pm
Fried potatoes- cube them, fry in oil, add salt and pepper and put on paper towel to absorb excess oil.

Rice, pasta, and barley are all on the stove, and you can mix and match them with the vegetables you have. (barley and beans is good, pasta and tomatoes, etc)

If you mix broccoli (defrosted) and eggs in a pan it will make a quiche, you can add in the cheese if you want it to be milchig.

Good luck!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:36 pm
Why not make a meal in a bowl soup for Friday nigh? Serve with fresh cut salads and challah.
For Shabbos day you can do a salmon summer squash and tomato dish, some eggs, salads, challah.
Buy canned chickpeas, olives, and fresh tomatoes tomorrow. Wiz up some humus, olives dip and tomato dip tomorrow with those, no cooking required.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus