Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Found our dream house, cheap, but it's outside the frum area
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:15 pm
We are in the market for buying a house. We saw our dream house, everything that we wanted in a house, and it's really cheap. The only catch is that it's not in the frum area (that's why it's so cheap) so is it worth it? It's walkable to Shuls, and to the frum area. We do have young kids, so I am worried that they won't have the experience to just run over to a friend to play. Dh loves the idea of privacy. I just would like hear other opinions, or if someone has experience living outside the frum area. How big of a deal is it?

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:23 pm
Personally I would go for it.

I don't know where you live but for example in Brooklyn, right now, outside the area will be in the area in a couple years.
I know people who bought houses 3 years ago in my area they were half the price they are now so they are going even further out.
I also like my privacy.
And your kids will not suffer.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:44 pm
Don't be an idiot.
20 years ago we almost put down a deposit on a 60k house on Attaya rd.
It was 1 1/2 miles from nearest shul
Our children were infants
A few weeks ago we went to a s zocheh in that house

It's worth over 400
They built some place a few blocks away about 8 yrs ago
WEST GATE

imokay

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:49 pm
For me, wud depend on who the current neighbors are and how likely the frum community wud spread in that direction.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 3:15 pm
It is a gamble.
I grew up just on the outskirts of the frum area, and had to walk twice as long to reach friends on shabbos, but I managed. I did resent it a bit as a teen, but loved the advantages of having a huge park nearby that was practically empty of anyone I knew, so I had privacy to read, paint and just enjoy the wildlife in peace. I have many siblings a similar age, with always one or two friends staying for shabbos, so the lack of neighbors wasn't really a big deal, we had enough kids to play with without getting tired of each other.

When we got married, dh and I considered buying a house on the edge of the frum area, still in the eruv but definitely a way from most people; there was a lot of talk about it becoming more jewish, people moving in, more shops opening and it was still cheaper.

We ended up not buying it for other reasons, and instead live in an apartment in the middle of jewville, but a quieter street than most. I love it more than I thought possible!

The other area still remains on the edge, as people have migrated in a different direction to what was anticipated, and the only kosher shop in those few streets has closed from lack of business, so no walking down to the shop to get bread or milk, it is always a drive if you live there.

So our gamble would not have paid off, but it is not to say your situation will be the same. Depends on how much you love the house, finances and how willing you are to have to make more effort to see others, especially in the first few years. If you're lucky, you'll be the person who got their bargain house in the newest, most in place to live, and in 20 years people will be asking how you did it.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 3:38 pm
It really depends on the city.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
We are in the market for buying a house. We saw our dream house, everything that we wanted in a house, and it's really cheap. The only catch is that it's not in the frum area (that's why it's so cheap) so is it worth it? It's walkable to Shuls, and to the frum area. We do have young kids, so I am worried that they won't have the experience to just run over to a friend to play. Dh loves the idea of privacy. I just would like hear other opinions, or if someone has experience living outside the frum area. How big of a deal is it?

I grew up outside the frum area. It is hard. We were the only orthodox family around. The only kids to play with were non orthodox. We were exposed to things that my parents would have preferred us not exposed to. One of my siblings married a local person who is not religious and neither is that sibling.

mfb

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:41 pm
How far do you consider walking distance to the frum community? Also are ther any major roads that children wouldn't be able to cross when walking to friends when they get older?

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:50 pm
If it is ANYWHERE near lakewood, buy it. The frum community will come out to meet you. and if it's walkable to shul, and you're not the sort who needs ten neighbors on the block, it sounds ideal.

momX4

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:51 pm
if its walkable to a minyan on shabbos you will be the only frum family for a very short time.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:53 pm
momX4 wrote:
if its walkable to a minyan on shabbos you will be the only frum family for a very short time.

I agree! Buy it and then rave to all your friends about it......

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:56 pm
momX4 wrote:

Ditto, but really walkable. No more than 1/2 a mile, maybe up to 1 mile.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:01 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Don't be an idiot.

It's worth over 400
WEST GATE

(West gate went up around 13 years ago)

It really depends on the city. Some are definitely growing out, and growth can be projected to specific areas. Others are not, and in that case you would have to be ok with the distance possibly as a long term thing.

Batyah85

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:05 pm
We bought just outside the frum area in our city (but within the eruv)- fast forward a year and a half later- more frum people are moving in our area and the housing prices are going up- was and is totally worth it for us. I also love having a few neighbors around- but not too many- so I get my privacy too Smile

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:30 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Don't be an idiot.

It's worth over 400
WEST GATE

Where is west gate?

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:35 pm
superdanni wrote:
Where is west gate?

Lakewood.... the west side of it! It's practically its own zip code now, complete with kosher supermarket and every store you could want.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:36 pm
You also really need to be ok with not having other mothers to schmooze with, or to borrow something from when you run out right in middle of cooking. Privacy can be nice, but it can also be isolating.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:38 pm
If you live in a town that supplies bussing make sure you will be eligible from your location.
If you have young children you will be entertaining them more then if they have kids in the neighborhood to play with especially those long summer shabbos afternoons. You will also be in that sitch. But if you okay with that then go for it.

ven

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 11:38 am
Oh yes I would buy ! Could be great investment opportunity! Might regret it
later.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:51 pm
I wouldn't buy it. Community is everything. Life is so much better when your kids can go over to the neighbors to play.

Not to mention: Yes, you can walk to shul once on Shabbat morning. Fine. But what about in the pouring rain? What about on Friday night? Are you/your DH/your kids going to feel comfortable going then? What about Shabbat afternoon for mincha and ma'ariv? Will your young boys get into the habit of going to shul 3X a day, at least on Shabbat? Will you/your DH/your kids be able to easily go to shiurim?

Not every area outside of the frum area becomes a thriving frum neighborhood. Try to get a map to see how the frum neighborhood in your town has expanded over the last decade or two. It's hardly a symmetric expansion from the center. So it's a real gamble for the future, and a definite disadvantage for now. I'd rather live in a smaller house.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating