Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Embarrassed by glasses (6 year old)

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 3:14 am
My 6 year old just got glasses and is supposed to wear them all the time. The problem is she says she's embarrassed and is very reluctant to wear them. She's starting first grade in 2 weeks and it's very possible she'll be the only one in her grade with glasses.
I thought about making a sort of sticker chart but that's hard to enforce in school. Any ideas?

itssimplyme

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 5:25 am
There is nothing you can do except really except pray that she will be fine and thr other girls won't make anything of it whatsoever (why any girl should bully another girl for wearing glasses, let alone in a religious school, would be beyond me) but anyway. I went to school with girls who wore glasses, they wore them in peace, totally didn't mind wearing them, and no one in the whole class or school cared or paid the slightest significance to it. Yes many people do wear glasses, it is not abnornal! This was
A non jewish school, so I can't see why a religious school would be any different? I see plenty of girls in glasses here.
Secondly you will just have to instill loadd of confidence in her - tell her that she looks gorgeous in the glasses, they really suit her. Be upbeat and cheerful about the issue. When she is wearing them, call her beautiful and gorgeous, in a very natural, sincere way.
Also tell her that she should never ever feel scared or nervous or unsure about herself, because Hashem loves her and put her in this world to have a relationship with her, because she is so so special to G-d.

octopus

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:46 am
hey I'm in the USA and glasses over here (I hate the styles now but that's irrelevant) are soooooooooo stylish! ppl are wearing them just for style! My dd cries she wants glasses. my niece cries she wants glasses.

Choirmistress

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:22 am
You might try telling her (and it's the truth) that there is at least one eyewear company (very big name) here in Canada that uses the slogan: "Are you lucky enough to need glasses?"

Choirmistress

iluvy

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:57 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
My 6 year old just got glasses and is supposed to wear them all the time. The problem is she says she's embarrassed and is very reluctant to wear them. She's starting first grade in 2 weeks and it's very possible she'll be the only one in her grade with glasses.
I thought about making a sort of sticker chart but that's hard to enforce in school. Any ideas?

Ask her teacher to talk them up? At that age a morah liking her glasses can make them the most exciting thing in the world. All the other girls will want Smile

And make sure they're super cute!

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:05 pm
Thanks everyone. We're trying to avoid making a big deal and it seems to be working. The first time she wore them to my in-laws we told them in advance and when I see her not wearing them, I just hand them to her with no comment

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:09 pm
Some kids look really cute in glasses! And there are really cute options these days...try to build her up and compliment her.

My DD got glasses at the end of first grade, and I remember getting a call from another mother whose DD was already wearing glasses and was so excited not to be the only one.

DD didn't like them much, but she really did look cute. I showed her pictures of the Molly American Girl Doll in glasses.....and I bought a really cute pair of glasses for her doll, on ebay.

All in all, she survived until she was old enough for contacts.....

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:23 pm
You should speak to your Dr. about contacts. Many studies show that 8 year olds are just as capable of managing contacts as teenagers. If she is in general good about taking care of herself, you could try it out.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:40 pm
I guess it's the culture in your area. Dd 9 yo got glasses and was very happy. She haste than few girls in her class with glasses. Dd always wanted glasses. I bought her very cute purple trendy glasses and she loves it. Her friends told her that she looks better in glasses. Dd is very smart and her friends told her all the smart girls have glasses. Her best friend went to check her eyes to see if she needs glasses. She was very disappointed because she doesn't need glasses.

chaos

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:50 pm
I really wanted glasses when I was little. Characters in some of the books that I liked (think Karen from the Babysitter's Club Little Sister Series and Molly from the American Girl books) had them.

But actually, I like your approach of not making a big deal if she is reluctant. Let her warm up to it at her own pace.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children