Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Broadway Shows for Frum Man

blokus

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:37 am
Hi,
Which broadway shows that are currently playing have no women singing? I want to find a show that would be appropriate for my husband to watch with me that won't have an issue of kol isha. I'm thinking of Newsies and Jersey Boys. Anything else?

bwaybabe85

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:47 am
There are women singing in both of those shows. You're really not going to find a musical with only men singing.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:18 pm
Pacific Overtures - there aren't always women in it and when they are in it, they're in the choir at the end.

1776 has very very few females singing (2 songs total of women), and they're in period costume aka appropriate clothes.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:30 pm
Actually , you seldomly have a solo without a microphone.
So there are many heterim
Trei kolos mistamei

imamom7

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:41 pm
Newsies has a lot of women singing and some not tznius scenes

bigsis144

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:49 pm
Why not see a play?

http://www.broadway.com/shows/.....=play

Often big celebrities from movies or tv will do a season on Broadway. The link above had Hugh Jackman in one play, James Earl Jones in another... I imagine many plays will be more serious than a musical, but read the synopses and see if anything piques your interest.

ETA: the poster gave no indication, but when I clicked the poster for the play It's Only a Play I was gobsmacked at how many HUGE stars are in this -- Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Megan Mullaly, Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley from Harry Potter!)... wow. From those names and the synopis, I assume this show will be HILARIOUS! Very Happy

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

bookworm10

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:50 pm
Newsies has one woman who sings, but she does sing a solo.

I never saw Jersey Boys.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:56 pm
More than one woman singing in Newsies. I saw it myself. (IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

From this thread from a while ago:

Quote:
Broadway show has significantly more female presence than the movie. I saw it.

Here's link to Broadway cast album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....A47AACB3FE

Track by track:
1. Overture
2. Santa Fe (Prologue)
3. Carrying the Banner -- nuns singing
4. The Bottom Line -- has short female solo, Pulitzer's secretary
5. That's Rich -- no more Swedish Meadowlark, this is more vaudeville-y

6. I Never Planned on You/Don't Come a-Knocking -- more vaudeville females
7. The World Will Know
8. Watch What Happens -- solo by lead female character, Jack's love interest Katherine
9. Seize the Day
10. Santa Fe
11. King of New York -- solo by Katherine (she replaces Arthur Denton from the movie)

12. Watch What Happens (Reprise) -- Katherine again
13. The Bottom Line (Reprise)
14. Brooklyn's Here
15. Something to Believe In -- more Katherine

16. Once and For All -- short solos by Katherine, mostly a group song
17. Finale

btw, there are a number of women sing/dancing as minor character Newsies dressed as boys. Listen to "so's the Bronx!" on Brooklyn's here and tell me that's not a girl acting butch :wink

eschaya

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:22 pm
Yeah, gotta agree with the posters here. I saw newsies and it was awesome... but enough women singing to preclude DH from coming along.
But there are many Broadway shows that are not musicals and therefore won't have singing issues. For example, I saw Cripple of Inishmaan and no singing at all and all costumes tznius (and Daniel Radcliffe is the main character!!). However it did have lots of profanity (though in the most adorable Irish accent ever that rendered each curse almost unrecognizable) and some crude references. Don't know if that offends your DH. But there are definitely other shows that may be completely free of any of this. For example, I know "of mice and men" is playing on Broadway, but haven't seen it.
You can also go to Blue Man Group which is not a Broadway but is a fun NY show too. Juvenile, but enjoyable.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:38 pm
This goes back yeeears - when I was a temimusdik frummie in sem, a friend invited me to see a play. It was s/t from Moliere, which I'd read in HS. Well, (even years ago) they had to add some prurient stuff to make it more exciting.

Good luck, honey.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics