Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Ice bucket challenge
Previous  1  2

Sanguine

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:59 am
Ice Bucket Challenge Bloopers

smilingmom

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:36 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Right, but this video seems mocking to me.

I apologize if I offended you, but all those challenges by famous actors got me thinking about the water-challenged wicked witch.
If you wish I will try to make amends by taking an ice cold shower, (no video however).

ROFL

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 3:41 pm
I love the chumos not Hamas challenge by some israeli soldiers can't find the website now but it is good and money can be raised for the IDF

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 3:42 pm
Call me a party pooper, but I think this "challenge" is asinine. It's a sad, sad commentary on the American people that they need to do something idiotic, not to say humiliating, to raise money for a good cause.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 3:45 pm
zaq wrote:
Call me a party pooper, but I think this "challenge" is asinine. It's a sad, sad commentary on the American people that they need to do something idiotic, not to say humiliating, to raise money for a good cause.

I hear you, but having read an article that explained how it all started, I think it's kind of cute.

rae gi

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:00 pm
zaq wrote:

OK, but the results of the challenge are what really matter. $31,000,000 will pay for lots of research and medicinal trials. I don't find it idiotic or humiliating; everyone seems to be a good sport about it. I was nominated today by my daughter. Smile

mille

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:20 pm
zaq wrote:

I really think you should watch this video made by a man with ALS (his mother has ALS, and so did his grandmother): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h07OT8p8Oik (note, the beginning of the video might be seen as a bit crude Tongue Out but then it gets serious -- skip to the 2 min mark if you don't want to see the crude bit)

He explains why this whole thing is so important from the perspective of someone who has been there.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:26 pm
Still confused- y can't ppl just donate for the research? Why do you need the ice water? And if the water is dumped on you then you don't donate? Or do u donate either way?

mdoif

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:28 pm
zaq wrote:

100% right.

It is also a testimony to the power of peer pressure, how ostensibly intelligent people humiliate themselves thusly.

This is worth bearing in mind next time someone tells you they're immune to peer pressure, or that they can't see what's so bad with their children associating with non jews and the like.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:29 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Still confused- y can't ppl just donate for the research? Why do you need the ice water? And if the water is dumped on you then you don't donate? Or do u donate either way?

Sounds like you donate either way. And I assume this is all suggested donations, no one should be mechayev someone else to donate.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:38 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Sounds like you donate either way. And I assume this is all suggested donations, no one should be mechayev someone else to donate.

It's like any other fundraising gimmick (how different is it from Bike4Chai or a jogathon) people getting together and doing something cute, amusing,interesting, challenging - and raising awareness/funds for a cause.

cholenteater

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:52 pm
Rebbitzen ice bucket challenge! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....ns=fb

dimyona

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 6:28 am
smilethere:) wrote:
Rebbitzen ice bucket challenge! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....ns=fb

I love that woman. She's a comedic genius.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 6:51 am
It's very very cultural (I have heard of it now).

I do not enjoy this type of things. I do not want to be challenged, I would not do it, nor do I want to be singled out to donate or do something. I don't like "subtle" pressure. I also learned the highest level of tzedaka is hidden, or at least not placated.

May all sick people get a refua shlema miyad...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics