Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Grey Lines (Binah Serial by EGSchwartz)
  Previous  1  2  3 27  28  29 30  31  32  Next

willow

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 9:55 am
sunny90 wrote:
I MIGHT buy the book if there were extra chapters in between the ending and the epilogue.
I don't think that less is more in this case. It's frustrating.

Boy do I agree

stem

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 10:27 am
I personally didn't enjoy the epilogue so much. It seemed like a cliche the way they ended up a few years later reading letters by the fire. I would rather have had the story ended with a satisfying engagement or wedding than a predictable scene years later.

I hope she adds those chapters when the book is published and she isn't constrained anymore by the mashgichim at Binah.

I also think the chasm between them in background, personality, and religion is still too big, and I can't imagine them ever being married to each other. If we could read about how their relationship solidifies through meetings and engagements, I could believe it better.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 10:44 am
stem wrote:
I personally didn't enjoy the epilogue so much. It seemed like a cliche the way they ended up a few years later reading letters by the fire. I would rather have had the story ended with a satisfying engagement or wedding than a predictable scene years later.

I hope she adds those chapters when the book is published and she isn't constrained anymore by the mashgichim at Binah.

I also think the chasm between them in background, personality, and religion is still too big, and I can't imagine them ever being married to each other. If we could read about how their relationship solidifies through meetings and engagements, I could believe it better.

That's a lot to ask in one book! Let's say this book could end with them meeting and leave off on a promising but ambiguous note. Then a sequel could be a full treatment of their growth in religion and marriage and bridging differences and all that - an excellent theme for a frum novel IMHO. Good candidate for this author's finesse.

supermama2

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:10 am
I looked up the names and pictures EG said Obermeyer and Caro looked like..I'd say Obermeyer was about right in my imagination though Caro I imagined with a more round face but I was close Smile

Er and WHO is Yachet...did I miss that?

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 3:11 pm
Okay, this was torture - I just read through the last 4 pages, hoping for some answers. I should've skimmed first to see if there was any post from scotty...

Can we hear from you, please, Scotty?

Also - anyone else gonna have withdrawal symptoms now??

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:39 pm
My sister (who works for Binah) told me they cut a great chapter. So, BOOH! Binah, and YAY! Scotty! You better not let them cut that in the book!

(Spin-off - do you want would you have wanted a romantic meeting in the Binah? Do you let your daughters read the Binah? Do you let them read 'frum' novels with a hint of romance? Sun Inside Rain, for example?)

supermama2

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 11:23 pm
Is this thread dead now or Scotty, can you chime in one last time for us?

Scotty

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 12:35 pm
Dead? G-d forbid! No way!

Reading all these responses was AWESOME!!! thank you everyone for all the sharing, crit, comments and responses!!! Imy"H will respond in more depth later, on deadlines now, but just wanted to drop a line --

Quote:
My sister (who works for Binah) told me they cut a great chapter. So, BOOH! Binah, and YAY! Scotty! You better not let them cut that in the book!

Hail to the imamother sisterhood!!!!
It's true that one of the final chapters - the one where Wolf and Caro were scheduled to meet "on-screen" - was overhauled completely at the last minute for sensitivity reasons, which is what your sister was referring to :-) I actually preferred that the story played out the way it did, but all the comments here got me grinning and thinking that hey, it WOULD be awesome to see all the little scenes - the meet, the wedding, the relationship - that would not necessarily have played out well within the framework of the story itself. (Imagining what comes AFTERWARD is half the fun, after all - Cinderella's married life would not be half as exciting as the story itself!!!) So I pitched a tie-in story to Binah that b'ezras Hashem should be appearing right before Rosh Hashono... keep your eyes peeled. No promises, but I'm going to try to cram in as much of the "fun" stuff--all the juicy details and "endings" I had in my head and never thought would get a chance to use--as I can...

So thanks to all the folks here looks like some commenters might get the ending they wanted after all!!!

supermama2

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 1:44 pm
I think I'll write Binah and request extra space for you as I'm not nearly as interested in the Magazine w/o you dear Scotty. The articles/stories are good but my personal preference is your writing.

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 2:03 pm
supermama2 wrote:
I think I'll write Binah and request extra space for you as I'm not nearly as interested in the Magazine w/o you dear Scotty. The articles/stories are good but my personal preference is your writing.

Yup, I agree. I bought the Binah this week, and as I was paying I thought to myself, "What am I buying this for? I've got nothing to look forward to this week." Well, I still have the recipes.

sunny90

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 2:39 pm
Scotty wrote:

It's true that one of the final chapters - the one where Wolf and Caro were scheduled to meet "on-screen" - was overhauled completely at the last minute for sensitivity reasons, which is what your sister was referring to :-)
No promises, but I'm going to try to cram in as much of the "fun" stuff--all the juicy details and "endings" I had in my head and never thought would get a chance to use--as I can...

So thanks to all the folks here looks like some commenters might get the ending they wanted after all!!!

People's "sensitivity reasons" irk me. I mean honestly. Besides for the fact that this is EGS who is apparently one of basically two Jewish authors who can write frum appropriate romance, this story takes place in the Civil War era! How sensitive can people get?
But I am reallllllly looking forward to the RH issue now!
Please oh please oh please don't disappoint us! I still feel like the story is unfinished.
c.c.cookie wrote:
Yup, I agree. I bought the Binah this week, and as I was paying I thought to myself, "What am I buying this for? I've got nothing to look forward to this week." Well, I still have the recipes.

This is exactly what I thought when I bought Binah for the past couple of weeks. Like really what's the point?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
(Spin-off - do you want would you have wanted a romantic meeting in the Binah? Do you let your daughters read the Binah? Do you let them read 'frum' novels with a hint of romance? Sun Inside Rain, for example?)

I guess it depends on how romantic, of course......but yes, I do allow my teens to read frum novels like
Sun Inside Rain (one our favorite, btw.)

Scotty

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:10 pm
Wow! Grinning from the tips of my blushing ears to my toes here. Hooray! Hope you'll enjoy the story as much as I'm enjoying planning it.

Loads of other good stuff coming - R"H article, Succos article and a Succos story I had an absolutely madcap time trying to write (let's just say my very, very limited Chinese got a real workout.) After this the plan is to have standalone fiction on a pretty regular basis G-d willing... can't wait to write stuff that isn't A YEAR'S WORTH LONG and interrelated enough to require graph charts and timelines!!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:54 pm
Scotty wrote:
Wow! Grinning from the tips of my blushing ears to my toes here. Hooray! Hope you'll enjoy the story as much as I'm enjoying planning it.

Loads of other good stuff coming - R"H article, Succos article and a Succos story I had an absolutely madcap time trying to write (let's just say my very, very limited Chinese got a real workout.) After this the plan is to have standalone fiction on a pretty regular basis G-d willing... can't wait to write stuff that isn't A YEAR'S WORTH LONG and interrelated enough to require graph charts and timelines!!

Scotty, I LOVE when you write stuff that is a year's worth long and interrelated enough to require graph charts and timelines.

But looking forward to reading your Chinese.

(My FIL always used to joke that he married a Chinese.....as my MIL A"H was actually born in China.)

sunny90

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:41 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I guess it depends on how romantic, of course......but yes, I do allow my teens to read frum novels like
Sun Inside Rain (one our favorite, btw.)

M. Bassara was the other author that I meant. Sun Inside Rain is my favorite Jewish novel. And I read it when I was a teen.

penguin

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:10 pm
I do have to say that one of the things that's exceptional about EGS is that she manages to be such a great author even though she grew up in Lakewood! Almost any amazing frum author I can think of is either a giyores or baalas teshuva who had the benefit of exposure to great literature and the outside world.

stem

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 7:21 pm
There are many FFBs who read secular novels including the classics. And, yes, many who go to college and take real literature and writing courses. LOL Rolling Eyes

penguin

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:42 am
Quote:
I bought the Binah this week, and as I was paying I thought to myself, "What am I buying this for? I've got nothing to look forward to this week."
Not fair to Batya Rudell, whose story is keeping some of us on the edge of our seats.

chocolate fondue

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 9:43 pm
stem wrote:
There are many FFBs who read secular novels including the classics. And, yes, many who go to college and take real literature and writing courses. LOL Rolling Eyes

That maybe true, but the fact is that most of the best writers in the Frum world are either a baalas teshuva or a giyores.

Scotty, I actually has a dream the other night that The Grey Lines hadn't actually finished and there was still another chapter to read. I was very disappointed when I woke up! Looking forward to your short stories!

stem

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 10:59 pm
That is not a fact, but your own opinion. I respectfully disagree.
Page 28 of 32   Previous  1  2  3 27  28  29 30  31  32  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room