Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Summer Vacation - WDYD??

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:34 pm
My kids are finishing day camp tomorrow and starting school only in 2 weeks on Monday!

I work full time. I honestly have no idea what to do with them for these two weeks. I was planning on taking off a couple days and my dh too but the problem is that I was just sick for a few days and had to take off work. Since I get paid hourly I cannot afford to take off more time and besides, I cannot ask for more time off either I have too much work to complete.
My dh works with one other guy and although he is ok to take off he hates doing so because it leaves a LOT of work on the other guy (yes even one day) and it makes such a back log that he has to work on the back log for three days after.

My question is, what do other working moms do during such a long vacation? Do you just rely on favors? My kids are young (age range 2-4).

busydev

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:45 pm
I'm taking off a morning or two next week to do SOMETHING with my kids, but aside from that I am sending them to a babysitter. If she hadn't agreed to open for afternoons I would have continued on my search for a HS or post sem girl for the week.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:49 pm
One more reason I have a nanny. There are so many vacations throughout the year, I honestly have no idea what I would do otherwise. Sorry that doesn't help you though Sad Can you find out what other moms in your area are doing?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:44 pm
I'm taking off one week. Juggling the next.
Where are you located? How old are your children? Sometimes there are in between fun schools available.

Barbara

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 7:45 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
My kids are finishing day camp tomorrow and starting school only in 2 weeks on Monday!

I work full time. I honestly have no idea what to do with them for these two weeks. I was planning on taking off a couple days and my dh too but the problem is that I was just sick for a few days and had to take off work. Since I get paid hourly I cannot afford to take off more time and besides, I cannot ask for more time off either I have too much work to complete.
My dh works with one other guy and although he is ok to take off he hates doing so because it leaves a LOT of work on the other guy (yes even one day) and it makes such a back log that he has to work on the back log for three days after.

My question is, what do other working moms do during such a long vacation? Do you just rely on favors? My kids are young (age range 2-4).

The easy answer is a a sitter. If you have a friend going on vacation one of those weeks, maybe their nanny would be interested in working for you.

Otherwise check the local Y, kids places and museums for vacation day programs.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 7:52 am
We are taking off this week for a family vacation. The kids schools and daycares start up the day after labor day so its only a week for us.

Do both your jobs have hourly flexibility? If so, perhaps one of you can work the morning (start early!) and then deal with the kids and the other can start in the afternoon and work late in the evening.

Emotional

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 8:32 am
HonesttoGod wrote:

Maybe you know a stay-at-home mom who would be able to help you out, especially if you pay her something.
I don.t mind when a good friend asks me for a favor, but I did mind when all the working mothers in the block assumed that since I was home, I could be the free neighborhood day care center. A stay-at-home mother's time is also valuable. That's why you should be prepared to offer payment.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 9:15 am
I also have a nanny. Full time is working 9-5 and school ends earlier than that so it's basically impossible for me to work unless I have someone in my house in the mornings and afternoons. plus school is off no often making it a real necessity.
But for those that don't have a nanny there are always girls making in between camp and school mini camps where I live. Is there nothing like that in your area?

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 12:24 pm
I have not heard of one in-between camp like thing.

I used to have a nanny but she wasn't working out so I let her go and started sending them to my baby's babysitter after school and it works great but I feel bad to dump them on her all day.

I like the half day thing. If I stay home in the mornings then leave them at 1230 by the babysitter it is not so long till my dh comes home, especially if he can possibly finish early.

Our hours are not really flexible for me it is work=money don't work=no money and for dh it is constant from 7-530 every day (he works in a store).

It is so tough. And I just got a letter that Thursday is orientation so I have to take them for an hour in the morning and then on Friday I have to bring them to school at 9:15 but transportation home. Argh!!!
It is insane - 2 weeks off!! Last year they had 1 week and the year before they finished on Tuesday and started on Monday!

At least I know I am not the only one having a hard time! I leave my house at 9 (latest) and don't get home before 6 (usually closer to 6:15). I wish I made enough to have a nanny at my house or even just for the week. The nanny I had was a good price but she didn't watch my kids at all and they literally wrecked my house every. single. day. Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics