Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why do these 2 weeks exist???
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:00 pm
A few threads and IRL conversations got me thinking: why don't the camps go any longer, or the schools start a little earlier? I do not know a single person who benefits from this stupid gap. It's bad for working parents who need to either pay through the nose or rely on something shaky. It's bad for SAHMs who now have to try to hold the house together with twice the kids she usually has, and being home all day leads to more mess, and figuring out how to entertain wide age ranges. It's bad for the kids who, by the end of it just end up with too much screen time (nice way to get back into the school mentality- NOT!). Heck, even the teachers I know are griping about it because exactly this time of no camp is when they need to spend days in school at meetings and getting their rooms set up! I know some places have backyard in-between camps, but not all communities, and it's not a viable option for everyone. Why do we have this? It's so dumb!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:14 pm
When I was growing up my parents used this week to take our annual family vacation.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
When I was growing up my parents used this week to take our annual family vacation.

I wih we could afford to take one

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:37 pm
Its a scam to make parents appreciate how much the schools and camps do for them so they cant complain about the costs of tuition. LOL

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:40 pm
A lot of families, like me last year, take a 2 day vacation where one of the days in Sunday. 1 night in a motel for up to $90. You need a car&gas, and the ability to take 1 day off from work (or go over Sun-Mon of Labor Day). Some of my relatives actually borrowed a tent and went camping (I think the campground fee was pretty cheap). If you go to an amusement park, then you will need more money to pay for the tickets. However, you can do a trip without an amusement park (stop at farmstands, county fairs, etc - it just required more planning). A cash-strapped friend of mine just took her family to Governor's Island, which is completely free, and they loved it. Another idea is the tram from Roosevelt Island to Manhattan, which I believe is also free. These trips build family memories and get the family "out of their box" even for just a day or two.

Fave

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:56 pm
A 2 day vacation doesn't solve the problem for the rest of the 2 weeks. Today's generation, when many mothers work, schools and daycamps need to be more accommodating.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:

Well, bully for you. Most people I know can't afford to do that.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:21 pm
Two weeks? that's all? My son is off for 3 and 1/2 weeks!!! this is insane!

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:26 pm
I don't know. If you can't manage to entertain your kids for two weeks out of the year, maybe you should be rethinking your family planning. If you're a working mom and can't afford childcare for these inevitable vacations, apply the same as above.

supty

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:30 pm
I'm sorry if this comes off the wrong way, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine. What's so bad about spending some time with your children?! OF COURSE it is beneficial for kids to have some down time with their mothers and families! I'm the first to admit that it can be extremely challenging, but from the way people I speak to are moaning and groaning about these two weeks, you would think it was the world's worst punishment to actually have to take care of their kids!!

Obviously I'm not referring to working moms here.

supty

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:31 pm
Maya wrote:
I don't know. If you can't manage to entertain your kids for two weeks out of the year, maybe you should be rethinking your family planning. If you're a working mom and can't afford childcare for these inevitable vacations, apply the same as above.

You beat me to it. That's exactly what I'm trying to say in my post.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:31 pm
Short term childcare can be very expensive and hard to find so I feel for working mothers with no family to help.

But stay at home moms (which I am)...if you "stay at home" but want your kids gone every day....well I'm just going to keep quiet.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Well, bully for you. Most people I know can't afford to do that.

Are you calling me a bully or did you mean something else?
We did not go on expensive vacations. No airplanes, amusement parks, etc. Many times we did free things like hiking

Barbara

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:49 pm
(1) Most people like to spend some time with their kids, whether vacation, staycation, visiting family, or other.

(2) Schools start at different times.

(3) Many counselors are college kids, who are either back at school, or just about ready to go back to school.

(4). Counselors want a vacation, too. They'd like to sleep late and hang with their friends. Do summer homework. Have fun.

There are usually plenty of after camp programs available for working parents. But if you have vacation days, take them, and enjoy the kids before homework struggles start.

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
We did not go on expensive vacations. No airplanes, amusement parks, etc. Many times we did free things like hiking

bully for you is an expression that mean good for you. with a sarcastic ring.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:57 pm
I guess this is when you form strong, grateful friendships with families in the same position. You get together with them and go out. Your kids are so amazed and stimulated to be with the other families' kids they are happy and good.

In a lifeboat, everybody pulls. Find others in the same boat.

If you are not working, and you take on a working woman's kids, she will be your slave for life. This might be convenient.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:

It's not just the money for the trip. How many people can just take off a week from work after 13 days of YT, and the inevitable sick days that crop up, and snow days and random days off? It's not so simple.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 3:12 pm
I have a 2 year old. It is very frustrating to look for a different pre camp and camp and post camp. Not to mention it is hard for my kid to switch from group to group and then start a new playgroup after all that. I'm only dealing with one kid right now, and I can't imagine dealing with all that for more kids.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 3:36 pm
I feel for you working parents who are scrambling.
As far as SAHMs, or teachers, etc., it is hard. It's a long break. Many other countries don't have as long a summer, and everyone's ready to get back on schedule. I used to run Camp Mommy and it was lots of fun but the last few weeks were tough sometimes. I think that if my kids would have needed blood tests the tube would fill with freeze pops. And this is the time of year I'd be outside with them doing chazara of Gordon Korman and comic anthologies to stay sane.
OTOH, yeah, do try to enjoy your kids and at the very least, don't telegraph to them that your life begins again the moment the school bus pulls up.

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 3:38 pm
As a teacher who works the whole year and then at summer camp, I greatly need these 2 weeks off. I need to go to appointments with my children (and for myself); I need to clean up from camp and get my classroom ready as well; I also need to recharge just a little. And I do all this with my kids off as well. No, it is not easy for anyone but teachers need this time.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics