Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What is the going rate?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:14 am
I do think this is in the right section, but I need to post anonymously.

Someone asked me to do carpool for her one way every day and she would pay me. She offered me $70 a month. Is that too much/too little? I'm ok with it because I have to do carpool anyway so it's not like I'm going out of my way to take her. Is that on ok amount?

Thanks!!

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:16 am
I think that is very generous of her for 1 way!

saw50st8

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:18 am
Where do you live?

The going rate where I live is $50-$60 r/t per week. (so that would be approximately $100-$120/month for one way)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
I do think this is in the right section, but I need to post anonymously.

Someone asked me to do carpool for her one way every day and she would pay me. She offered me $70 a month. Is that too much/too little? I'm ok with it because I have to do carpool anyway so it's not like I'm going out of my way to take her. Is that on ok amount?

Thanks!!
[quote]If you are OK them why are you posting? It depends on where you live, how far the commute is, how many days a month, will her kid be ready, is he disruptive, how far out of the way you are. There are some kids you would need to pay me $70 a week to go 15 minutes and even then it would be a chessed. $70 a month is ridiculous imo.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:19 am
I paid $50 monthly in that situation for my DD over 10 years ago.....so that does not sound like too much.

Even if you are going anyway, the hassle of transporting another child, plus the time and expense they are saving, entitles you to payment.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:27 am
[quote="amother"]
Quote:
If you are OK them why are you posting? It depends on where you live, how far the commute is, how many days a month, will her kid be ready, is he disruptive, how far out of the way you are. There are some kids you would need to pay me $70 a week to go 15 minutes and even then it would be a chessed. $70 a month is ridiculous imo.

I just want to know if I am being taken advantage of. We live about 10 minutes away from the school, all local driving. I would be taking her daughter home every day. She's three years old, and I can't imagine that I can't put up with her for 10 minutes. I'm only doing the afternoon so I don't need to worry about her being ready. They live around he corner and down the block so not out of the way.
When you say it's ridiculous do you mean what she's offering is too much?

emunahmother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:42 am
The school I send my dc to charges $700 for one wAy of private bus service. Not sure if that can be of any help

acccdac

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:43 am
I don't know what I would charge but I almost did this for my son. It was 1 way 45 minutes during traffic times. The driver wanted $75 per month

Some things he said to keep in mind for yourself.....
He specified that it's a monthly fee meaning October and April that only have 10 days of school are still $75. He also said something to this affect " I reserve the right to have 5 days where I can cancel on you.

I'm telling you this because it's important to set up ground rules. Some people are dependent on the extra money. Decide your rules.

What if the family goes to Israel for a week do they still pay you?
What if the child gets sick and is out for a week?
What if YOU go out of town?
What if your child has a dentist appt 10 min after school?

(Just food for thought)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:57 am
acccdac wrote:
I don't know what I would charge but I almost did this for my son. It was 1 way 45 minutes during traffic times. The driver wanted $75 per month

Some things he said to keep in mind for yourself.....
He specified that it's a monthly fee meaning October and April that only have 10 days of school are still $75. He also said something to this affect " I reserve the right to have 5 days where I can cancel on you.

I'm telling you this because it's important to set up ground rules. Some people are dependent on the extra money. Decide your rules.

What if the family goes to Israel for a week do they still pay you?
What if the child gets sick and is out for a week?
What if YOU go out of town?
What if your child has a dentist appt 10 min after school?

(Just food for thought)

Thank you so much, that's so true!! I didn't even think of those things!!! I will have to talk to her about it.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:31 pm
That sounds about right. Someone offered me $200 round trip per month for a few kids (one family).

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
I just want to know if I am being taken advantage of. We live about 10 minutes away from the school, all local driving. I would be taking her daughter home every day. She's three years old, and I can't imagine that I can't put up with her for 10 minutes. I'm only doing the afternoon so I don't need to worry about her being ready. They live around he corner and down the block so not out of the way.
When you say it's ridiculous do you mean what she's offering is too much?

Afternoons are much easier as you say. I thought $70 is too little. What happens if the mom isn't home? I am assuming it is 5 days a week.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
Afternoons are much easier as you say. I thought $70 is too little. What happens if the mom isn't home? I am assuming it is 5 days a week.

It is every day, and I assume that the mother will make other (local) arrangements if she's not home. Another thing to talk to her about :-)

acccdac

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
It is every day, and I assume that the mother will make other (local) arrangements if she's not home. Another thing to talk to her about :-)

we are not trying to scare you off doing this (I almost did it myself this year), but after 6 years of carpooling and listening to carpooling stories we have found the areas where people find their issues.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:57 pm
acccdac wrote:
we are not trying to scare you off doing this (I almost did it myself this year), but after 6 years of carpooling and listening to carpooling stories we have found the areas where people find their issues.

Not scared, don't worry!!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:39 pm
In baltimore, the going rate is $60 for 1 way.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 7:28 am
I pay 100 euro per child and per month. I find it pretty prohibitive since the person is going there anyway and we must drive the kids to the person's home in the morning. But this is all we find, and dh must go to work.

SingALong

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 10:22 am
I paid someone for round trip $100 month, same setup, we lived on the same block and our kids went to the same play group. Drive was about 5 minutes out kids were 3 at the time.

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 7:00 pm
would you be able to keep a carseat in your car for the kid (they have an extra) or would you have to reinstall the carseat more than once a week or so? installing a carseat correctly can be a real tircha. At that age those are the toughest carseats too. If the family wanted me to booster a 3 year old I'd immediately say no way jose. I don't even booster my short 7 year old twins yet.

My opinion is that it's a fair price, but I don't live where driving is a huge pain in the tush. I'm in Cleveland where parking is no problem, there's no traffic, and everyone lives 10 minutes or less from each other. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics