Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yechezkel

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 3:15 pm
For all the ladies here who know about names, etymology and the like, can someone give me some name alternatives for Yechezkel (This relative actually went by Chaskel)? For a boy. Thank you.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:07 pm
chesky

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 7:07 am
Chazkel, Chatzkel(e)

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 9:49 am
If you tell us what you're looking for, it might help - what's wrong with Yechezkel? You can call him Chezzy or something if you want a more "hip" sound or something

freidasima

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 11:00 am
Here in EY it becomes Chezy (Hezi) very often.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 11:31 am
OP here. Thank you for the replies. While I am familiar with the nicknames available, I would like to know of names with a similar meaning that have a more modern feel to them. I would not use this name for my son, not in its full form or as a nickname. Our other children have names that, while Hebrew, are not hard to pronounce or spell in America. I have seen on this board where someone will suggest a name with the same meaning, but the 2 names are completely different. I am not coming up with any alternatives on my own. Thanks for any ideas!

syrima

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 11:51 am
Yechezkel is quite a mouthful for anyone outside the frum world. All my kids have traditional Hebrew names but I would shy away from that one unless it was a middle name.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:09 pm
Yes, exactly, Syrima. This is why I opened up this thread. We would like to name in honor of a relative but this name is not one we would use. This relative did not go by his Hebrew name either (or rather Yiddish, as we know he used Chaskel for religious purposes), but we'd like to use the spirit of the name.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:55 pm
Chaskel is not Yiddish, it's how Jews In Galitzia pronounced Cheskel. All the Yecheskel I know are called Cheskel just like Yeshayas are called Shaya, although when they are olah the full name is pronounced. I know a Yecheskel who is called Tcheskel (like checkers).

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 2:58 pm
IIRC, another name for Yoseph Hatzadik, was Yecheskal.
Maybe you can call him Yoseph?

etky

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 2:31 pm
I would suggest Chizkiyahu instead of Yechezkel because of the phonetic affinity but that would also be a mouthful...
As far as matching the meaning, that is also a problem because what does Yechezkel actually mean?
Maybe, taking into account the root חזק and the name of Hashem you can substitute Gavriel which also connotes G-d's strength?
Another idea - Yechezkel's distinctive appellation is "ben Adam", and he is addressed as such by G-d throughout the book. Maybe consider the name Adam as a substitute for Yechezkel.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 2:40 pm
Call him Yechezkel at home and Zeke outside the home? Ezekiel is an English name... shortened to Zeke. It's actually cute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names