Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PLEASE HELP BABY LOSING WEIGHT!

amother

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 3:30 pm
I am going out of my mind with worry. My 12month year old just went for his yearly checkup.
He was always on the bottom rung of the weight height chart..however he kept on growing according to his chart...we just noticed that in the past four months..instead of continuing to grow and maybe even catching up..he is losing weight..they sent me to a nutritionist who recommended adding polycose and a very routine schedule of feeds. He doesn't nurse since 6 months..
When on the polycose his appetite literally disappeared..so I decided to take him off the polycose..his appetite came back much quicker..however every spoon is a struggle to get him to eat..he used to be such a good eater, who would eat plates full...what is going on? his clothes are all baggy on him...HELPPP
I live in Jerusalem..any help or names of doctors to recommend would be highly appreciated..
Thanks

ven

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 5:52 pm
try avocado , butter , sweet potato ,banana ,...

Blue jay

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 10:38 pm
I am not an expert. But do you let him feed himself some? Some chopped soft finger foods while you get in spoonful here and there? Is there a battle of wills going on during his mealtimes?
scrambled eggs, cream cheese on soft bread diced up. chopped saucy chicken... are all hands on foods. Keep a sippy cup with water nearby to get acquainted with.

Just some ideas.
hatzlacha!

SingALong

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 11:03 pm
Did he recently start walking? My son lost a couple of pounds recently, at age 17 months. He had just begun running around especially outside with all the nice weather. He's about 50% on charts so dr wasn't too concerned. He's also a good eater but will only eat when he's hungry and stop when he's full. I can't get another bite of food in if he's done he'll push his plate away.

What does your ped say? Is your baby on formula? Can he stay on for longer and don't switch him to milk yet? I think formula has more calories.

momtra

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 11:13 pm
My daughter's weight stagnated at six months. A GI recommended a feeding tube - just for at night,with pediasure being pumped through. -she started gaining immediately , she was on the feeding tube for about 4 months. She is 7 years old and my best eater now~

amother

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 11:56 pm
did they check her heart?
they say that kids with undetected heart conditions dont eat well and lose weight.
Good Luck!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:12 am
My son did that at 12 months. Was also at the bottom of the charts always. My pediatrician had me add three full meals a day. ( he was basically nursing till then) and continue to nurse. She told me add olive oil and fats where I can and had me come again one month later to see if he gained. Bh he had gained two pounds. He is now three and a pretty good eater but is tiny for his age.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 2:54 am
Maybe try showing him a barney while he eats. My kids get very caught up in it and they dont even realize that im putting food in their mouth meanwhile.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:25 am
amother wrote:
Maybe try showing him a barney while he eats. My kids get very caught up in it and they dont even realize that im putting food in their mouth meanwhile.

I always said that I would not be "that parent" who sets her kid down in front of a video, but DD is a very picky eater, will take two bites, and say she's done.

I found that if I gave her a bunch of finger foods and let her watch a show, she would clean her plate every time. She'll 11 now, still very small for her age, and getting her to sit at the table is still torture. She'd happily live on starch and sugar if I let her, but I can get her to eat veggies and protein with a video. It's worth a try.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics