Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Middle Name Ideas for the Name Emma??
Previous  1  2

Which name do you like better?
Emunah (nickname Emma)  
 23%  [ 17 ]
Ma'ayan  
 18%  [ 13 ]
Eliana  
 58%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 72

sky

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 7:19 am
tichellady wrote:
You are the parent and get to choose the name. I love the name Emma and don't think it's overdone at all. What does it mean for a name to be overdone anyway?

I love the name Emma for personal reasons.
But of course it is over done.
Emma is the second most popular name in the USA and has been there since 2009 (when it fell from #1). Those are pretty hard facts.

I wouldn't hold me back from using it if I wanted to.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 10:27 am
No joke - my daughter's nickname is Emmy, short for Emunah. Back in 2009 when I named her, I thought I was being SO creative. Three months later I took a trip with my husband. When we were changing planes in Atlanta, the entire airport was full of mothers calling their little girls - Emily, Emma, Emmy ... I guess I must have subconsciously absorbed the name's popularity when choosing the name. My family also thought it was weird to have a kid named "Emunah" - now her school busses and camp/school are filled with other Emmys and Emunahs Smile

penguin

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 10:30 am
Quote:
My cousin named her kid Emunah Temima and we all thought it was weird.

Emunah Tehorah. Emunah Peshuta.

Emunah Segulah (as in Toch Emunei Am Segulah)

Poor kid.

Choirmistress

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 12:28 pm
Emma may SOUND like a shortened form of Emunah, but its meaning, from a Germanic or Swedish dialect, is "universal; whole; all-encompassing". Nothing to do with emunah.

How about "Sh'lomit" (NOT "shoo-LAH-miss", please! Ugh!), to make a match reminiscent of "emunah sh'leimah"?

It shares a shoresh with both "peace" and "complete".

Actually, you needn't agonize too much over your choice. It's said that parents have a degree of ru'ach haKodesh when it comes to naming children.

Regards,
Choirmistress

Ruchel

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 1:35 pm
Shlomit/s isn't Shulamit/s

5mom

Post Sat, Aug 23 2014, 3:54 pm
I know an Esther Malka whose parents call her Emma - they get credit for naming after a relative and still got the trendy name they wanted Smile

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 6:17 am
Hi. I've just Googled it and found that Shulamit is the feminine form of Sh'lomo, so that it means "peaceful; tranquil".

So Sh'lomit is the name that probably means "entire; intact; integral", and this is the name that would probably go better with Emunah than would Shulamit.

Regards,
Choirmistress
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names