Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
PSA: Easy Mosquito Bite Fix

mandr

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:37 pm
I just discovered a way to end the nasty, ultra-annoying itch of a mosquito bite. Sunday I was in the city and I got eight (eight!) mosquito bites! The first of the season and I spent all summer so far in the suburbs. All eight are on my legs and they itched like the devil. The problem was when I slept or wore a long skirt, the material would rub against my legs and we all know what happens when you scratch a mosquito bite. Oh did they itch when I got up in the morning! I decided to fix the abrasion problem by sticking a small square of surgical tape onto the skin over each bite. That night, no bedding touched my bites and I woke up in so much less itch. Oh, and before adhering the tape to the bites, I dabbed some witch hazel onto them to close the pores. Voila, itch-free legs! Now these unsightly red marks better go away quickly because it's nude tights season.

yksraya

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:42 pm
if you dab some rubbing alcohol onto the bites, the itching stops.

mandr

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:46 pm
yksraya wrote:
if you dab some rubbing alcohol onto the bites, the itching stops.

Temporarily.

I tried that. It works till it gets scratched again.

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:56 pm
mandr wrote:
I just discovered a way to end the nasty, ultra-annoying itch of a mosquito bite. Sunday I was in the city and I got eight (eight!) mosquito bites! The first of the season and I spent all summer so far in the suburbs. All eight are on my legs and they itched like the devil. The problem was when I slept or wore a long skirt, the material would rub against my legs and we all know what happens when you scratch a mosquito bite. Oh did they itch when I got up in the morning! I decided to fix the abrasion problem by sticking a small square of surgical tape onto the skin over each bite. That night, no bedding touched my bites and I woke up in so much less itch. Oh, and before adhering the tape to the bites, I dabbed some witch hazel onto them to close the pores. Voila, itch-free legs! Now these unsightly red marks better go away quickly because it's nude tights season.

Are you sure they are mosquito bites?

mandr

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:11 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
Are you sure they are mosquito bites?

What else would they be? I was around mosquitos that night - I had to swat away several during my short stay outside. I think one got trapped in my car on the way home.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:51 am
My DD got a zillion bites last week. I put a little lavender essential oil on them and an oil blend that's supposed to help, and I did not see her scratching again for quite a while (then I reapplied and it worked again) She is super sensitive, her bites get huge and very itchy and she can't help scratching and then she ends up with bloody gouges all over, so this was like a miracle to me.

Barbara

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:57 am
I use Afterbite, which is ammonia. It works.

mommy24

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:18 am
seeker wrote:
My DD got a zillion bites last week. I put a little lavender essential oil on them and an oil blend that's supposed to help, and I did not see her scratching again for quite a while (then I reapplied and it worked again) She is super sensitive, her bites get huge and very itchy and she can't help scratching and then she ends up with bloody gouges all over, so this was like a miracle to me.

Some of my kids have the same reaction. What was the oil blend that you mixed with the lavender?

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:39 am
I didn't mix with lavender, did one at a time. The blend is called Purification, I find it most helpful to repel the bugs in the first place (but of course for that you need to anticipate ahead...) but I read that it can also help the bites, not sure which helped more, that or the lavender. I just did everything for good measure! Of course I used it very diluted because it is strong stuff.

mommy24

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:06 am
Thanks, I will look into it.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:14 am
PM me if you want more details and info about ordering the blend, I have a wholesale account because the same company makes a lot of great oils I use.

mandr

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:57 pm
I think I'm being misunderstood here. I am not trying to find a solution to stop the itching of a bite - I can think of 20 products that can do that for you. But rather, I was trying to find a way to stop the unintentional "scratching" of a bite that antagonize the itch. There is a difference.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:14 pm
Well yes, that's one strategy. And there are also strategies to mitigate itching and repel mosquitoes. Something for everyone :-) I've used band-aids in the past to stop the scratching.

mirror

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:53 pm
I use Cortizone cream, over-the-counter.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 11:01 am
mandr wrote:

I tried this last night and it worked like a charm. Thanks much for posting!

What is it with the mosquitos this season? I don't remember them being so nasty for a long time.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics