Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shmitta- discuss
Previous  1  2

supermom

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 3:50 am
Right around rosh hashana time figs start to be ripe. So can I pick them? They are only starting to grow now. And how about rimonim? You can see the flower developing.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 4:00 am
supermom wrote:
Right around rosh hashana time figs start to be ripe. So can I pick them? They are only starting to grow now. And how about rimonim? You can see the flower developing.

Do you mean, can you pick them if the tree belongs to someone else?

The fruits at the beginning of the year don't have k7 because they budded in the 6th year, so they're not hefker.

hila

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 4:16 am
Right, they dont have k7 till this time next year.
And then if teh owner has made teh tree hefker with a sign near it , then you may pick.

Most farmers, or orchard growers will not do that because of teh damage to trees from ignorant pickers. But they will hand over the fruit to the Otsar Bet Din. The pickers are then paid for picking and still have employment, and hopefully the public benefits from cheaper fruit.

But none of this fruit will be available till about next spring - probably the early summer fruits.
And the latest fruits will be about December January AFTER shmitta .
Eg my lemin treen now has small lemons - that will be ready in about December. They are NOT shviit, but next year's crop will be shviit.

supermom

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 5:56 am
shalhevet wrote:
supermom wrote:

Do you mean, can you pick them if the tree belongs to someone else?

The fruits at the beginning of the year don't have k7 because they budded in the 6th year, so they're not hefker.

Sorry I am bothering you guys. So you are saying the the owner can picked their own fruit off the trees in the shmitta year? I have a fig tree, and a grape vine by me, so you are saying I can pick them in the shmitta year since they budded before?

hila

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 7:31 am
Well , the grapes and figs are fruiting now are tehy not. These fruits are considered shishit - fruit of teh 6th year. So they do not, according to most opinions have kdusha. They do not have to be made hefker, and you can do wha tyou want with tehm . But ask your LOR if you have doubts.

Now this time next year there will be a new crop that grew in teh 7th year. THat has k7, and has to be treated accordingly. YOU have to make that fruit hefker or givie it to Otsar bet din (dont think they will want to be bothered with one sill tree). So stick the stuff in a bucket by your door and put a sign by it - Hefker. Or on the tree/vine if you dont mind others picking your fruit.

Right now - give teh trees plent of food and water and compost, because next year you can only water water them. Vut them back if you can nw too, bcs you cant prune after RH

catonmylap

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 9:34 am
breslov wrote:

I also know there is something called heter mechira which rav kook instituted, which involves selling your feild to a [gentile] for shmitta, however, I know most people do not hold by this heter anymore.
I know there's something called otzar beis din, which is where all the produce is owned by the bais din and sold not for profit, but I don't know the specifics.

Please share any information you know regarding shmitta.
Thanks in advance.

I don't think that is true. I think a huge number of people keep heter mechira. Few haredim do--but I doubt few haredim ever did.

Otzer beit din is the best stuff to buy.

There are differences between heter mechira fruit and heter mechira vegetables, and what time of year it is. Rav Rimon has a great book which states what is the most preferable produce to buy at each time of the year.

It's particularly bad to buy Arab produce this time around as they use the proceeds to buy weapons to shoot us with.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 9:48 am
My dati leumi BIL, learned in hesder yeshiva in Shilo, a dati leumi yeshiva, told me that even in dati leumi circles, they're not really relying on heter mechira. That's where I got my information from. If its not accurate, thats interesting. Maybe it also depends which circles of dati leumi.

hila

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 12:34 pm
Have alook at the other shmitta thread.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 11:21 am
I'm resuscitating the old shmita thread as we're nearing another one.

If anyone can recommend books or shiurim on this topic, I'd be most grateful
(preferably English, but Hebrew would do).

ally

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 12:48 pm
catonmylap wrote:

It's particularly bad to buy Arab produce this time around as they use the proceeds to buy weapons to shoot us with.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 1:41 pm
In my family, we're going by heter mechira, just like we did in previous shmitahs we were here for.

Shuly

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 6:19 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I'm resuscitating the old shmita thread as we're nearing another one.

If anyone can recommend books or shiurim on this topic, I'd be most grateful
(preferably English, but Hebrew would do).

Gateway To Shemittah by Rabbi Dovid Marchant
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions