Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Ausable Chasm

amother

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 1:20 pm
Ever been there? What is there to do for a couple with a toddler?

Mrs, R

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 7:45 pm
Ever been there?
Bump

sky

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 7:58 pm
Yes, twice, its amazing.

We've done it with 2 toddlers (3 and 1 1/2 years).
And 3 toddlers (5 and 3 and 1 1/2 years).

(Or something like that. Now that I think about it #2 the second time still had long hair so he may have been 2 1/2).

Both times my kids over age of 2 walked and the youngest went in a baby carrier. I think you can rent carriers there that are very good (we rented the first time, second time brought our own), but it is first come first serve.

There are 3 levels of hikes. I think we did the one were you go into the rim. My kids are excellent walkers and can do long distances so I knew they could do it. I was nervous about the steps and the ledges. there are gates but at some points I was nervous about safety. And made everyone walk really slowly. It is gorgeous. At the end you can either go in a tube (not with toddlers) or on a raft, we did that, as long as the toddler can fit in a life jacket they will let. They were pretty lenient about it. or you can continue the hike by foot. Take lots of water with you.

The scenery is amazing. I would love to go back again.

The raft ride is pretty short but fun. Its also pretty tzinius, compared to most rafting experiences. I would never go rafting with dh because I'd be nervous people are wearing bathing suits, but here everyone is dressed for hiking.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 8:05 pm
Also nearby is: http://www.stonebridgeandcaves.com/
We went there and its neat, but we liked ausable caverns better.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:30 am
Where did you stay in/near Ausable Chasm?
Is there a minyan nearby?

sky

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 7:07 pm
We stopped there on our way home from Montreal to Lakewood. Its not a full day trip (but there is other stuff to do in the area).
If you want to stay in the area with a minyan I'd look at Lake George which is nearby.
http://www.godaven.com/detail......eorge
http://www.saratogachabad.com/.....h.htm

b from nj

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 7:10 pm
sky wrote:
Yes, twice, its amazing.

We've done it with 2 toddlers (3 and 1 1/2 years).
And 3 toddlers (5 and 3 and 1 1/2 years).

(Or something like that. Now that I think about it #2 the second time still had long hair so he may have been 2 1/2).

Both times my kids over age of 2 walked and the youngest went in a baby carrier. I think you can rent carriers there that are very good (we rented the first time, second time brought our own), but it is first come first serve.

There are 3 levels of hikes. I think we did the one were you go into the rim. My kids are excellent walkers and can do long distances so I knew they could do it. I was nervous about the steps and the ledges. there are gates but at some points I was nervous about safety. And made everyone walk really slowly. It is gorgeous. At the end you can either go in a tube (not with toddlers) or on a raft, we did that, as long as the toddler can fit in a life jacket they will let. They were pretty lenient about it. or you can continue the hike by foot. Take lots of water with you.

The scenery is amazing. I would love to go back again.

The raft ride is pretty short but fun. Its also pretty tzinius, compared to most rafting experiences. I would never go rafting with dh because I'd be nervous people are wearing bathing suits, but here everyone is dressed for hiking.

I'm looking forward to stopping off there on my way up to Mtl. this summer (weather permitting)!

sweetnsalty

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:58 pm
Any updated travelers since op posted this? I also want to go with a 2 year old. How long was the "hike?"

sky

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 9:48 pm
they have info about the hikes distance here:

http://www.ausablechasm.com/Th.....s.asp
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics