Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why do these 2 weeks exist???
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 3:40 am
Soooo many teachers never take any additional course.

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
No, the verbal "contract" is that it is a monthly fee. Not an annual fee spread over 10 months.

yeah, I get that. but get inside the morahs head for a minute, she knows what she needs for the year. you pay by month, not by day. if that bothers you then you should have had a convo with the morah before signing up, ask her if you can send only 9 months and not june, see what she says (probably no).
did the morah guarantee you a certain number of days per month? I'm assuming you had a calendar and knew that June would only be a few days worth. most people can add it all up and understand how this works. you know you have to budget for more childcare in June, its not a secret.
if you dont like the system, dont use it. you can hire your own morah on your own terms in your home. get some local kids to join in. I know ppl who do this so that they have a full month of June (or even all summer long).

and while I'm typing, my dh used to work for a school and its true that he had a long summer break. but we also had no income for those 10 weeks. we knew that would happen so we budgeted for it. some schools pay all 12 months long but the monthly check is smaller. this is not high level math, its fairly obvious. if youre a teacher and get 12 checks per year, should I, as a paying parent, complain that you didnt teach at all in august? I mean, come on, its the same thing no matter how you divide it.

whether or not you think teachers should have a long summer break is irrelevant, they do. we know this. plan for it.

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Whoops, hit submit to soon. I wanted to say, the "proof" of this is that camp is $75/week and playgroup $300/month (which is basically the same thing). If it was an annual cost divided into 10 it wouldn't be the same equivalent monthly as camp is weekly. So yes, it's double dipping to me to pay $300 on June 1 and then $75/week halfway into the month. You don't need to tell me about budgeting, I can afford my childcare, thank G-d. The affordability is not the point.

school and camp are two different services. you need to look at each one separately. morah charges x amt for school service. you know in advance that this means only a few days of June.
morah provides camp service beginning when school ends. she charges x amt of dollars for this including the rest of June.
if you chose to send to a different camp would you still feel taken advantage of? if this school morah did not provide camp would you still feel overcharged for June?
most people who send to school and camp pay the school for June and the camp for June. yes, you pay twice but June is always half school, half camp.
now, if the morah provided a 12 month program, then its double dipping for her to say you have to pay twice. but that's not what she's doing.
maybe you could have asked her in advance if you can get some sort of discount for camp since you sent to her all year, but my guess is that she knows her market value and will be able to find full paying kids without yours.

sorry about my last post, I hadnt read this one yet, I take back my comment about budgeting.

kb

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:17 am
I feel taken advantage of... that the playgroups are milking us of our money by opening for a week and charging for a full month.

(For schools I suppose there's room for saying that they do that in order to make extra money to compensate for the people who don't pay full tuition. But as far as I'm aware, no one is giving out tuition discounts for playgroup!!)

And I'm looking at the contract now: both playgroups I'm sending to this year have the end date in June left to be determined.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 12:38 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
Working mom here...

I am sending my kids to a camp in between camp this week, which is fine. But while my boys start Sept 2, my daughter doesnt start until the 8th so I have a whole week that I dont know what to do with her.
Of course I love spending time with my kids...but the schools want their tuition you know, and the only way I can afford that is by working.

I dont buy the excuse that the teachers need a vacation. Of all the professions in the world, teachers in frum schools get so much vacation! From erev yom tovs, to chol hamoed, chanuka break, winter break, a week before pesach, various legal holdiays...THAT is your perk for being a teacher! And at the very least, they have more than 2 full months off in the summer. The rest of us working "normal" jobs have to work every single one of those days..or use up precious sick days that we may or may not have.

This issue annoys me every single year...especially since I dont get a tuition break for september when the kids start a week in PLUS I have to pay for a babysitter if I'm lucky enough to even find one.

This. Can't like enough.

Don't go telling me I don't like my kids because I don't want to spend two weeks home with them or I need to rethink my family planning because I am complaining about two weeks.
My family "planning" is down pat thank you.

Forget the fact I am paying 12 months tuition but he is only in school 11months of that and of those 11months at least another month is Y"t and legal holidays.
They want tuition for 12 months but only want me to work for that for 11months??
And I don't get any days off. I work solid. If I take off, I lose money. I don't get paid. I do take off. But then I can't pay the school. Catch 22.
And the teachers, sorry I don't feel bad for you one tiny little bit. Don't even try make me by telling me all the hard work you do preparing and planning. I do that too. All day every day. Trust me sitting on a beach making note of ideas for class, or at home in bed after a nice long warm morning shower, sketching wall decorations, no, I don't feel bad.
And if you choose to work summer? well you STILL get off more than me and you get paid for it.

I get kids need vacation time I do, growing up we had 2 weeks in the winter 2 weeks in the summer. In the summer we went on a week family vacation or trips. My mother didn't work and my father worked a lot from home so he was around (whilst on the phone all the time but around either way). In the winter it was over x-mas and New year so not much for anyone to do then anyway.
If only I could take off a week without it hurting, forget being able to afford vacation just take a week off to spend with my kids. I WISH. But life is not so simple. So yeh, quite telling me to stop complaining and be happy you don't have what to complain about in this department. Shame on you Director Feeling beat up

mommy27

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 12:55 pm
I'm not really sure why everyone is blaming the teachers. I am a teacher. I have kids at home these 2 weeks too and I also have to entertain them. I just don't have to take off work to do it- except for the couple of days worth of boring meetings my school has scheduled when it's impossible to find babysitters so my husband takes off instead. I'd also rather they were in school or camp- even if it means I was back at work too! You could equally well blame the camps! How unfair it is that the counselors want a break, they don't need vacation etc.

elisheva25

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 1:42 pm
All I have to say is when is school starting ?lol. I think these 2 weeks are hard on every1.

kb

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 1:59 pm
Not blaming ANYONE. Complaining about a system that isn't fair.

ora_43

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 3:09 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
And the teachers, sorry I don't feel bad for you one tiny little bit. Don't even try make me by telling me all the hard work you do preparing and planning.

I think I'm the only one who mentioned teachers preparing. I'm not a teacher, I just know a bunch of them.

I asked one of them about this topic -

Me: If teachers had to work summers, would you still want to be a teacher?
Her: Yes. Probably... Sometimes it's a tough year.
Me: I was wondering because, you know, some people get upset that teachers get so much time off and they have to deal with daycare and all.
Her: Ahahaha... you know what? Let them come be teachers too. Sure. If they think we have it so good.

That's what I don't get, either. Nobody needs to pity teachers, but why get upset over their "good" job conditions, or compare them favorably to your own? It's not like being a pro athlete or something, where there are thousands of people vying for each spot. Pretty much anyone who thinks it'd be awesome to be a teacher can go be a teacher. (Not necessarily a good teacher, mind, but many schools are desperate enough not to care.)

Or alternately, if their job conditions are better than what most people get, schools can start offering worse conditions and rely on the fact that the average teacher will be happy to accept average job conditions. It would make life easier for working parents. Based on threads we've had during other months of the year about teaching in frum schools, I see that going badly, but that's just me.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics