Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teachers advice needed- 5th grade

MMCH

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 7:59 pm
I am teaching 5th grade at a new school (its very different from where I used to be, not a main stream yeshiva at all... also a whole new grade)

I need help figuring out a system of organization for my students.
I'm teaching chumash- with handouts of the translation- so do I do binder and folders for that?
then I am teaching a mixture of Parsha, Spelling and Vocab of Hebrew, and Yehadus.
They are requesting a weekly quiz in each subject.

whats the best way to organize? Binders? Notebooks and folders?

thanks!

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 9:24 pm
Personally I'm a fan of binder with dividers, especially if you will be doing most subjects most days. If some subjects are less frequent (weekly, e.g.) you might consider doing that separately so they don't need to get shlepped around as much.

In 5th grade they will need to be explicitly coached - taught and supervised - in the use of a good binder system. But this skill will serve them well later in life.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:34 pm
not a teacher here, but something that I would like to mention. please do not hand out sheets with shaimos on them. if you do feel the need to do so, discuss this with your students and offer them the option of returning the sheets to you when they no longer need them. I've noticed that some teachers like to hand out photocopies of chumash or tehillim, and it's really problematic for parents of younger kids and for older kids who are just not organized. you probably already realized this, but I figured I'd mention it.

oh, and as a former disorganized student, I vote with the binders. if you have a hole puncher in your binder, it's easy to put the sheets in the right place right away. if you have the sheets in folders and you're clumsy, you end up with a goulash of handouts in your knapsack at the end of the week. binders are neat and fairly easy to take care of. if you find some kids to be less neat with their binder, advise them to have page reinforcements in their pencil cases at all times.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics