Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
DH can't stand neighbors kids

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:05 pm
Ok so here's the deal- I live in a duplex, meaning attached house to one family. Basically it's this one family that my kids end up playing with. I have girls and she has boys (that are the same ages) that play together. The neighbors kids, especially DS age 7 , love to come "play" at my house more then my kids like to go to their house, and so the neighbors family (age 7,6,4,2) end up spending quite some time here.

I don't mind that much- except when they are annoying- asking for food, or just hanging around and not playing. which happens a lot of the time! I made a rule that if they are in my house they must be in the playroom, even if my kids are not in there.

At this point my DH cannot stand when they knock on the door and he really gets nervous from them!He wants me to tell them they can't come play anymore but I don't think it's fair because our kids do spend some time by their house (although not as much. I agree!)
I need to maintain a nice relationship with my neighbor also- we live a little too close for comfort!!
She probably looks at it like- they are in my house and in their house... not realizing how annoying her kids are when they are here, and how long they spend here!

As a side point I am always lecturing my kids on how to behave at someone else's house -"no asking for food, If you need to use the bathroom to make number 2 you come home( I hate having to wipe her kids-eww) , no hanging around- only stay if you are playing if you are not then come home. etc... these are alll examples of what her kids do at my house.

WWYD??

Chocomama

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:33 pm
I totally understand that some of the behaviors you mentioned are annoying.

But really. Why aren't you setting some limits in your own home with these children? I mean, for all you know, the other mom is telling her kids the same things (no asking for food, no using bathroom) and they don't remember for whatever reason.

Why can't you just say, oh if you're hungry you should go home to your mommy I bet she's making something yum for supper. and if they say no she's not. So you can say, we have rules about food and we're not giving snacks now and supper is just for our family.

and with the bathroom, if they are young enough to need help, then you can ask them before they go to use your bathroom and remind them that if they need help, they must return home to ask their mother.

I totally get you. I've had this experience with 2, 3 yr olds coming to play. I never minded about the food, but the bathroom issue - not so pleasant!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics