Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Workmate

cupotea

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 12:37 am
I'm dealing with a workmate who's highly pregnant. She's having a tough pregnancy and letting a lot of it out on me.....telling me to get her stuff, putting her head down on the desk, not completing work and leaving it for me, and worst of all talking Nasty.....
Do I have to be understanding of it?? I feel like it's a good excuse but if you're coming to work do your stuff...if not STAY HOME!!

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 12:40 am
I believe it's Coworker.
And, there is a limit to how much she can expect you to do for her....

cupotea

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:43 pm
work·mate

ˈwərkˌmāt/Submit
noun
a person with whom one works.
Smile

rivmom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:02 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I believe it's Coworker.
And, there is a limit to how much she can expect you to do for her....

As far as I know (I'm not an expert), it is the same, the British are more likely to use workmate and Americans co-worker.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:06 pm
You should be honest with her. Tell her that you understand that she is pregnant and having a difficult time completing her tasks, but you are unable to take over her job for her. Explain to her that you know that she probably cannot afford to quit her job, and you are willing to help her in other, more appropriate ways. Then give her examples of how you can help: "I don't mind doing this and this," or even a lot of work once a year, but I cannot and will not cover for you entirely. Tell her she is a great workmate, who you feel is also a good worker (if it is true), and you trust that she will be able to address the situation and continue in an appropriate manner from now forward.

abeona

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:06 pm
no its not an excuse but I don't think u can do anything about it. except don't do work that she asks of u before your work is complete.

debsey

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 6:38 pm
cupotea wrote:
I'm dealing with a workmate who's highly pregnant. She's having a tough pregnancy and letting a lot of it out on me.....telling me to get her stuff, putting her head down on the desk, not completing work and leaving it for me, and worst of all talking Nasty.....
Do I have to be understanding of it?? I feel like it's a good excuse but if you're coming to work do your stuff...if not STAY HOME!!

I'd give calm, non-judgmental feedback that respects BOTH your boundaries and your natural empathy.
"When you order me around and then talk down? nasty? meanly? negatively? to me, I feel taken advantage of, and then I don't want to help you at all. Please work with me here, so that I can be supportive without feeling being taken advantage of......." If she gets offended, oh well! At least she won't ask you to do stuff anymore.......
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics