Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nyc doe longevity question

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:21 pm
I have a question about the nyc doe salary steps. I know everyone starts at a certain step, but I saw on the website something about 5, 10 year etc. longevity and a pay raise.
I was wondering if longevity was standard after working for say 5 years, or only specific people get it? Thanks

anon because I've been asking around

CPenzias

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 12:22 am
I think it's if you worked that amount of time.
You know you can always ask your union rep or call hr connect. Are you a teacher? (I am)

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 1:08 am
All nyc teachers receive longevity increases at 5,10,13,15,18,20 and 20 years.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 9:47 am
I am a school psychologist who is just beginning to work! thanks! so at 5 years longevity my salary will bump up almost 20,000? because thats what my salary scale says but it seems like a lot

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I am a school psychologist who is just beginning to work! thanks! so at 5 years longevity my salary will bump up almost 20,000? because thats what my salary scale says but it seems like a lot

Here's the doe salary scale. Keep in mind that a new pay scale will be issued shortly, reflecting the new uft teacher contract.
http://jd2718.org/the-new-uft-.....arts/
Look at the very bottom of the scale. There's a bunch of letter L's followed by a $ amount. At 5 years(L5) you receive a $1000 longevity bonus. If you have further questions just ask me.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
Here's the doe salary scale. Keep in mind that a new pay scale will be issued shortly, reflecting the new uft teacher contract.
http://jd2718.org/the-new-uft-.....arts/
Look at the very bottom of the scale. There's a bunch of letter L's followed by a $ amount. At 5 years(L5) you receive a $1000 longevity bonus. If you have further questions just ask me.

Amother again. I just realized I posted the teacher pay scale instead of the school psych pay scale. Here's the correct link
.http://www.uft.org/our-rights/salary-schedules/social-worker-psychologists
L5 is still $1000.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
Amother again. I just realized I posted the teacher pay scale instead of the school psych pay scale. Here's the correct link
.http://www.uft.org/our-rights/salary-schedules/social-worker-psychologists
L5 is still $1000.

but if you go on the nyc doe website for school psych salary scales, it says 5 year longevity and mentions a salary around 20,000 more than starting. which is why I am confused. it bumps up to about 83,000
just wondering. maybe it is just for school psychs?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:31 pm
There is the salary steps and longevity. U can work 5 years elsewhere and start on a 5 year salary step for your previous experience. Longevity is an extra yearly amount after a certain number of years irregardless of your salary step.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
There is the salary steps and longevity. U can work 5 years elsewhere and start on a 5 year salary step for your previous experience. Longevity is an extra yearly amount after a certain number of years irregardless of your salary step.

sorry if I'm being unclear but not really what I'm asking. if you go the nyc doe website and click on the salary steps, under school psych beginning salary on step 1A is 57,000 isn. however, at the bottom of the page, it mentions 5 year longevity if around 83,000. it doesn't mention a 1,000 per year increase, the salary itself jumps around 20,000 from the steps above it

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdon.....4.pdf

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:33 am
amother wrote:
sorry if I'm being unclear but not really what I'm asking. if you go the nyc doe website and click on the salary steps, under school psych beginning salary on step 1A is 57,000 isn. however, at the bottom of the page, it mentions 5 year longevity if around 83,000. it doesn't mention a 1,000 per year increase, the salary itself jumps around 20,000 from the steps above it

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdon.....4.pdf

I understand your confusion. The doe salary scale is confusing. Scratching Head Don't feel bad!
1-Anyway, as I said before, your salary goes up $1000 when you complete 5 yrs of teaching. They give an example at the very bottom of the pay scale chart.
2-After you complete 7 yrs of teaching,the pay scale shows that the salary is $78,674 which includes a 5 yr longevity increment.
3-After you complete 10 yrs of teaching, the pay scale shows that the salary is $81,634 which includes a 10 yr longevity increment.
I hope I was of help. Btw, I've been teaching for a whole bunch of yrs for the nycboe.

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:53 am
The longevity increase is $1020. To determine what you would make after 5 years, you take your differential (5a base or wherever you are) and add $1020.

Reading the chart vertically represents salaries over increasing time. So after 7b there are no more salary steps except for applicable longevity increases. If after 7b you have worked for the DOE for at least 5 years, your salary will then move from $77654 to $78674. Subsequently there are no increases until your 10th year with the DOE at which point you continue to make $81634 until year 13, etc.

Hope that clears things up.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 10:12 pm
right. I understand that. My question is if the 5 year longevity is usually stated in amounts like 1000$ why on the school psychology doe page, like in the link I posted above, does it say that a school psych 5 year longevity salary is 83,000? I'm confused as to why a very high amount is written as opposed to say 1000$ like on other pages such as teacher. what is the 83,000 written by 5 year longevity mean

sorry I'm not being so clear

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:
right. I understand that. My question is if the 5 year longevity is usually stated in amounts like 1000$ why on the school psychology doe page, like in the link I posted above, does it say that a school psych 5 year longevity salary is 83,000? I'm confused as to why a very high amount is written as opposed to say 1000$ like on other pages such as teacher. what is the 83,000 written by 5 year longevity mean

sorry I'm not being so clear

I just read that page. It does not say that. It clearly shows that after step 7B, which is the start of the 8th year of teaching, the salary is $78,664. If you have a MA/BA +30 credits beyond your masters, the salary is $83,625. This is written in the second column.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics