Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Could someone recommend a good book/read?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:43 pm
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that would be a good and enjoyable read. Something not too basic I.e. not for beginners, not TOO advanced, just kind of in the middle - challenging but understandable. I'm a ba'al teshuva and I've learnt all the basics and a little more. I'm interested in everything. If you could recommend any book you've read and loved on anything from prayer to Jewish philosophy to women to spirituality, kaballah/mysticism or any topic I'd be very grateful. I guess I'm saying that it could be on any topic so long, as long as you've enjoyed it Smile

Thank you in advance Smile

busymom

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 1:28 pm
For something a little mystical and out of the box, try Ruchama King Feuerman's "In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist." It is a fun read with very memorable characters. It was not written specifically for Jewish audiences but is a Jerusalem-based Jewish story.

(This is a novel. Are you looking specifically for Jewish halachah/philosophy? Or light reading too?)

Dev80

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 1:41 pm
I'd recommend Holy Woman by Sora Yocheved Rigler, it's a biography about a woman who went through a lot of challenges and I found it inspiring

Also the Rebbetzin Kanievsky biography was great (put out by Artscroll), and A Tzaddik in our Times is another biography I loved.

These are all the kind of books that focuses on the character traits (middos) of these people and I find myself saying 'if I can do a little of that I'd be a little greater!)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:04 pm
All For the Boss is a classic that I will never tire of rereading (or laughing out loud while I read, or trying to model in my own life!) It's a classic for a reason - enjoy!!!!

Exiles of Crocodile Island is officially historical fiction but taught me so much and is incredible on so many levels.

Second a Tzaddik in Our Time.

Sparks of Glory - R' Moshe Prager (war-oriented but wrenching).

Novel-ey? Inspiration only?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room