Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book rec's for 10 yo boy

granolamom

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 9:34 pm
I'm looking for some good books for my 10 yo ds. right now he's finishing Gary Paulsen's Hatchet series and loving it. He loves survival books like My Side of the Mountain (and of course the hatchet series is right up his alley). He also likes nice gentle stories (he can handle some sad stuff) with solid characters even if they're animals. He liked Beverly Cleary, Roald Dahl, EB White. No sci fi stuff. No 'cool kids' stuff (hated Escape from Mr Lemoncello's Library) and not really interested in mysteries. Oh, another book he liked was The Cricket in Times Square.
what else can you recommend?

Chocomama

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:10 pm
some we liked:

George Washington's socks - Elvira woodruff - a time travel adventure
hooper finds a family - jane paley - story about a dog after hurricane Katrina
the magician's elephant - kate dicamillo
the indian in the cupboard - lynne reid banks

spring13

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:32 pm
The World According to Humphrey
Roland Smith's Storm Runner series, or others by him
The Cay by Theodore Taylor
Al Capone Does my Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
Wonder by RJ Palacio
The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth Speare
Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies
Steering Toward Normal by Rebecca Petruck

If he liked Hatchet, have him try the Tucket series!

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 2:06 pm
thanks, I think he might like the Indian in the Cupboard if he hasnt read them already. I dont remember. will try the Tucket series and the sign of the beaver. we really disliked Wonder here.
lots of other good ideas, thanks!

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 2:29 pm
The Call of the Wild: I read this book in 3rd grade and it profoundly impacted me in a very positive way.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 2:58 pm
Percy Jackson series
Artemis Fowl series
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Famous Five series
Encyclopedia Brown series
Swallows and the Amazons
most of the books by Michael Morpogo (War Horse, Alone on a Wide Wide Sea, Butterfly Lion, Private Peaceful, Kensuke's Kingdom, Adulphus Tips, Kasper, Long way from Home)

Not for literary style but my DS enjoyed Horrible Histories series more for the content.

mandr

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 4:21 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
The Call of the Wild: I read this book in 3rd grade and it profoundly impacted me in a very positive way.

We read it as required reading in 9th grade, I believe, and it was so not a fun read. I can't imagine even tolerating it as a third grader!

How about:

​Fablehaven (series) - Brandon Mull
​The Candy Shop War - Brandon Mull
​Antsy Does Time and The Schwa was Here - Neal Shusterman
​Eddie and the Gang With No Name (Running with the Reservoir Pups) - Colin Bateman
​Molly Moon (series) - Georgia Byng

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 4:33 pm
mandr wrote:
We read it as required reading in 9th grade, I believe, and it was so not a fun read. I can't imagine even tolerating it as a third grader!

Well, to each his own. I've read that book several times, my first time in third grade when the reality of London's "survival" captivated me. My grandmother discussed many of the themes with me then. The violence did not bother me, but I was intrigued by many of the messages and their application [or lack there of]. It's definitely not strictly a children's book, but can [and should IMO] be read as child.

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 7:41 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:

we did Call of the Wild as a read aloud when he was in 2nd grade - he loved it! I think its one of those books that you either 'get' or not, he really did. me, not so much, but that's ok Smile

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 7:45 pm
he really dislikes too much fantasy/sci fi, arent percy jackson, fablehaven, artemis fowl and narnia fantasy?
another no-go is mysteries, but I'll look up the rest of the rec's and try them.
thanks for taking the time to type them all up

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:39 pm
a cricket in times square is not the only book with those characters. try tucker's countryside. there are a couple others about the same animals by george selden, I believe.

have him read the little house books. if he doesn't want to read about the girls, let him try farmer boy.

try the "childhood of famous americans" books. here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Benjamin.....icans

I never read this particular one, but I loved the ones about annie oakley, albert einstein, and thomas edison when I was a kid.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:41 pm
oh, also, try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Boa.....inson

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:44 pm
I liked this one too:

http://www.amazon.com/Thank-Ja.....52937

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 8:55 pm
The Giver, Who Was series, There are many classics available for children: treasure island, King Arthur, Robinson Crusoe, Black Beauty (maybe girlish), etc.

I think that Barnes and Nobles narrows things down by age and genre, so you may want to check there as well

little_mage

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 1:46 pm
Where the Red Fern Grows. I think Rawls in the author, but I'm not sure about that. It's been quite a while since I read it, but it's about a boy growing up on a farm in maybe the Ozarks, and the dogs he's training. It does have a pretty sad part, but it sounds like it might be right up your son's alley.

TSR

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 3:43 pm
My girls (ages 6.5 and 8) enjoyed:
Gentle Ben by Walt Morey
Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson
Caddie Woodlawn
Doctor Dolittle
Another author I enjoyed as a kid was Elizabeth George Speare.
Jean Craighead George's My Side of the Mountain is good. Also, Julie of the Wolves.
Island of the Blue Dolphins.
Just as a disclaimer, I read some of these quite a while ago and cannot vouch that they are fully appropriate for a 10 year old. I would read them before he does just to make sure.

granolamom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:02 pm
little_mage wrote:
Where the Red Fern Grows. I think Rawls in the author, but I'm not sure about that. It's been quite a while since I read it, but it's about a boy growing up on a farm in maybe the Ozarks, and the dogs he's training. It does have a pretty sad part, but it sounds like it might be right up your son's alley.

oooh I just looked this one up on amazon and I think he will like it, thanks!

granolamom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:06 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
oh, also, try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Boa.....inson

oh, thats a good book! I totally forgot about that one, we even have it somewhere. thanks for reminding me. I liked some of your other suggestions too, ds said he doesnt want to read the other george selden books but he likes the famous american ones.

little_mage

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:45 pm
Glad to help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room