Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Tired of chicken, any new exciting menu ideas for shabbos?

bbd

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:33 pm
So my kids are starting to say 'not chicken again' on Friday night, anyone have any exciting main dishes, something different, not too much work. Living in Israel and not being that familiar with the meats here I basically make chicken every Friday night and schnitzel for shabbos day. My son who comes home from the army for shabbos says he expects that a baked chicken will almost always be on the menu. I agree, its getting boring, I need some exciting dishes to shake things up. any suggestions?

ddsw

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:38 pm
I make a beef lomein for fri nights especially when it's hot and I don't serve soup. Let me know if u want recipe

bbd

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:40 pm
Yes would love the recipe Smile

November

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:42 pm
Me too!

gittelchana

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:43 pm
bbd wrote:
So my kids are starting to say 'not chicken again' on Friday night, anyone have any exciting main dishes, something different, not too much work. Living in Israel and not being that familiar with the meats here I basically make chicken every Friday night and schnitzel for shabbos day. My son who comes home from the army for shabbos says he expects that a baked chicken will almost always be on the menu. I agree, its getting boring, I need some exciting dishes to shake things up. any suggestions?

Meat can be very easy to make. You take your cut of meat, season, place in a roasting pan or crock pot and let it simmer on low heat for several hours.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:43 pm
You can make something else with chicken breasts, like sesame chicken, sweet and sour chicken or fire poppers.
Would you make a meat dish? You could make a roast, steaks, goulash or meat and potatoes.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:53 pm
I cannot stand chicken when I'm pregnant, except for cutlets, so I usually make something with ground beef for Friday night. Sometimes meatballs, sometimes meatloaf, this Friday night I am making a meat pie.

Also chicken loaf with ground chicken is good.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 4:54 pm
Duck with orange sàyce

Pineapple

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:30 pm
London broil plain or in a salad

ddsw

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:52 pm
Here's the original recipe

Beef Lomein

1/2 box of thin spaghetti
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1 Tbs veg oil
3 c chopped broccoli
1 1/2 c sliced onion
1 Tb minced peeled fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic minced
12 oz sirloin tip meat (I've used beef stir fry and it's fine)
3 Tbs beef broth
3 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs Hoisen sauce

cook spaghetti and drain. heat oils in skillet over med-high. add broccoli, and onion and cook for 3 mins, add ginger and garlic and continue stirring, cooking for 30 seconds. add meat and cook for 5 mins or until not pink.

mix broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, and hoisen sauce in a separate bowl. add sauce and cooked pasta to skillet and cook 1-2 mins.

note: I play around with my recipes and am not such an exact cook. I have left out the ginger bc I don't like the taste and the beef broth bc I had so much leftover and never use it for anything else and it still tasted fine. and if you don't have sesame oil I would leave it out too, but it does give it that Chinese taste.

enjoy!

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:53 pm
Stuffed vegetables with ground meat and rice. You can stuff zucchini,onion, tomato, mini eggplant. Serve with rice, white beans, and bamia (okra).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus