Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
ISO Whole wheat chocolate crinkle cookie recipe?

shana rishona

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 4:26 pm
ISO whole wheat chocolate crinkle cookie recipe?

shuls_613

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:48 am
I don't know if you are still looking but I have one. It doesn't specifically call for whole wheat but I always use whole wheat and it comes out fine. I also usually cut down the sugar and oil a bit.

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies- 4 dozen

1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup icing sugar

Add sugar, cocoa, appleĀ¬sauce, oil and vanilla to the large bow mix until all the ingredients combine well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix again until everything comes together.

Place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to overnight. You really want this batter to be very cold.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Shake the icing sugar onto a plate. Line cookie trays with parchment. Take your batter out of the fridge.

Scoop our small amounts of dough and roll it in your hands to make a 1 1/2 inch ball. Roll the ball through the icing sugar and place it on the cookie sheet, leaving 1 1/2 inches between cookies. Keep working your way through the dough. If it starts to really cling to your hands, place it in the freezer for 5 minutes to firm it up.

Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are firm but still tender.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 1:48 pm
I use the recipe from one of the Kosher By Design books (can't remember which one) for zebra fudge cookies (I make them smaller than the recipe says and bake them less time) and just substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the flour. I only use whole wheat pastry flour (not regular whole wheat or white whole wheat flour). In almost everything I bake, I substitute whole wheat pastry flour and in most things, especially very chocolatey ones like these cookies, and brownies and chocolate cake, you can't taste the whole wheat at all. You don't need a special whole wheat recipe. Happy baking! Smile

myself

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 5:04 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I use the recipe from one of the Kosher By Design books (can't remember which one) for zebra fudge cookies (I make them smaller than the recipe says and bake them less time) and just substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the flour. I only use whole wheat pastry flour (not regular whole wheat or white whole wheat flour). In almost everything I bake, I substitute whole wheat pastry flour and in most things, especially very chocolatey ones like these cookies, and brownies and chocolate cake, you can't taste the whole wheat at all. You don't need a special whole wheat recipe. Happy baking! Smile

OOC, why do you only use pastry flour? Does it taste less 'whole-wheaty'? Or just texture preference?

Odelyah

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 10:59 pm
Yes, I use it because it tastes less whole wheat-y. In chocolatey recipes like this I think the whole wheat taste is unnoticeable. In other recipes it is barely noticeable and they taste very good (like carrot, pumpkin or banana cake, apple crisp, chocolate chip cookies, muffins. For recipes where the flour is more prominent and you want a lighter texture I will use about half whole wheat pastry, half white flour, for example in the lemon delight bundt cake recipe, and that works really well. You shouldn't use it for challah or bread though because it's lower in gluten than regular flour. For that if you want less of a whole wheat taste and appearance I would use white whole wheat flour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins