Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
5 year old is anxious about going to kindergarten

COOLME56

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 11:06 am
Hi,
My 5 year old will be going to kindergarden this year and is very anxious. Her older sister used to be with her in elemenatry and is now going to Middle School and my daughter will be alone. In order to avoid meltdowns on the first dya of school, is there anything anyone would recommend to calm her down?

Thanks.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 11:15 am
Ask the school if they'll allow you to stick around for awhile the first day, as she gets acclimated to the room, teacher and kids. If they let you come in before the first day with your kid to take a quick tour of the bldg and classroom, that would be great too; decrease the fear of the unknown. Try to make some playdates in the next few days with kids you know will be in the class. Give her a picture of the family to keep in her bag to hold if she misses you. Tell her that almost everyone is nervous before school, that it's ok to be scared, and even to cry, but that in the end almost everyone loves kindergarten. Tell her about all the nice things she will do there: art projects, singing, playing, making friends. Arrange for her to talk to kids a year or two older who can tell her stories of their year in K. Let the school know that she is already very concerned so they can be attuned to her as needed. There are nice books out there about school fears; try reading: The Kissing Hand book with her. Good luck:)

COOLME56

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 11:17 am
ok those are good suggestions. I work so I wont be able to be with her on the 1st day, but they do have orientation a day before, so that should help. I'll buy the book.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers