Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Credits at bar ilan

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 11:40 am
I know I can call bar Ilan university for this question- but they are closed now and want to discuss this over Shabbos with dh. Oldest son is currently in college in US and is thinking of making aliyah (we support this decision and are very proud of im) the question is will he be able to transfer credits or will he have to start all over again and take the Israeli form of the SATs - which he sooo does not want to do again! Anyone have experience with this??

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 1:10 pm
bump

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 2:20 pm
I don't know very much about this but we were researching a similar question and the impression I get is that it's theoreticallypossible to transfer some credits but they will likely reject many too, if the course descriptions don't align well enough or such. But note that Israeli bachelor's degrees are much more focused than American ones - for example, science students don't need to do a whole load of humanities and the like. So even if he does need to start over there, it might not even be such a bad thing. The other option is that if he's more than halfway through his BA/BS and stands to lose a lot by starting over, he may as well try to speed up and finish before making aliyah and go straight to a master's degree there because they are considerably more accepting of American DEGREES than American CREDITS.

This is just the impression I got from talking to a bunch of people. Not professional advice at all.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:19 pm
Thanks for the feedback. he actually only has just his first semester/year- so if he had to start again I don't think he would mind- it is more having to got through the whole testing process again. Once you think you are done with the SATs who wants to look at them again- ugh!!

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:56 pm
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but what's a little testing compared to the total picture of years of higher education? It's work! Welcome!

sprayonlove

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 5:42 pm
I applied for bar ilan and was accepted. I didnt take the SAT, I took the ACT and it was no problem. I applied the same way I would apply for any university.

sprayonlove

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 5:46 pm
Oh and about the credits transferring its completely up to the judgement of Bar-Ilan but I have a feeling its unlikely because none of the credits from my previous university transferred. But it depends on a lot of factors - what classes he took, what degree he is pursuing at BI, etc. but I know people who studied at BI for a year abroad and their credits transferred back to their home university.

ruby slippers

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 8:09 am
Thanks so much!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics