Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Chessed in Bklyn w/ toddler? Pls help.

MadameX

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 6:03 pm
Hey ladies! I need some help.
I am interested in doing some Chessed in my neighborhood (Flatbush/Midwood).
Anything that my 2 YO can tag along with.
I am a SAHM and have some free time under my hands B"H.
Something flexible since 2 YOs are unpredictable.

I honestly don't know what I can do, but I would really like to do something good with the time that I have. Besides it being good for chinuch purposes.

Any ideas?

doctorima

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 8:23 pm
Bikur cholim, tomchei Shabbos, Masbia soup kitchen, visiting an older homebound woman, maybe Ohel or a group home? Call up chesed organizations and ask what they need and see what's doable for you and your child.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 9:15 pm
That's a visiting seniors program, I forgot the exact name, but I'm sure you can find it. They'll set you up with someone, and you can request someone who won't mind a 2yo. (most would probably love it)

MadameX

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:49 pm
Thank you both for your suggestions.

I like the idea of visiting someone elderly, I just fear it will not be appropriate for my DC. Every time I take him to his great grandmother, I need to be REALLY on top of him. These homes are generally not too child friendly.
Thoughts?

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 1:05 pm
The thing is, if you want to bring along a 2 year old to do chessed, then you have to find something to do where he'd be an asset rather than a hindrance.

Visiting an elderly person who loves children might be a good choice, but only if your son would respond well to having a stranger dote on him. And if he isn't a wild kid who's likely to break things.

Maybe visit sick children in a hospital? Children's wards are often bright and cheerful and have toys. It might be a better setup for your son.

Would he be able to help you pack boxes for Tomchei Shabbos? It would probably not be the most efficient process, but the boxes would eventually get packed. And that's an easy chessed to explain to a young child.

kb

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 1:46 pm
What about visiting a nursing home and staying in the main room where there isn't much (I assume) in the way of child un-friendly things?

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 5:10 pm
I visit my grandfather in an assisted living facility with my 2 yr old regularly. the other residents generally get very excited to see her, but I do not have the time to talk to them all. I always say hello and smile, but we are there for a specific person. I think it would be wonderful if you could bring your toddler to such a place. bring some books that your child likes, a photo album that he likes to talk about, or a favorite toy. bring your child to a main area (ask the staff where the activities take place/where people go during the day to socialize) and strike up a conversation with whoever asks you about your child. trust me, there will be plenty. you can ask the resident if s/he would like to read a board book with your child, look at pictures, see a toy, etc. this would allow your child to connect with whoever is there, and it really would brighten the resident's day. you may even make a close connection with some of the residents, which is wonderful all around. I go to the home frequently, and the vast majority of residents do not have visitors when I'm there. I have never seen anyone but myself bring small children. this summer I have been bringing all three of my children weekly, and I bought a special play doh set to keep there. we play with playdoh out in the garden. lots of residents stop by to talk to me about the kids and try to talk to them, but they're shy. the play doh keeps them settled very nicely, and they've been able to bond with their great-grandfather over it.

if your child starts getting restless/wild, it's time to go. but don't let it get you nervous. once you find what keeps your toddler interested, you really can do this. it's a wonderful thing to do, and I admire your interest in volunteering. I suggest you call whichever home you choose before going. ask them if they are ok with you coming with your toddler and if they have anything specific you can do. I was asked by a staff member at my grandfather's place if I could stop by a certain table to have my toddler talk to a woman who loves children but never had any. you can definitely ask to be set up with a specific senior, and you can ask for activity recommendations. many exercises they do with seniors are really fun for toddlers (tabletop ring-toss, for example), so it's worth it to ask.

MadameX

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 8:30 am
Thank you all for taking time to respond to my post.
I like all of the suggestions. For now I will pick the one that seems the most plausible with my active DC. If he doesn't respond well, I will try another suggestion.

Thanks again! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries