Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah for JPF family with older kids

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 2:39 pm
We've been wanting to make aliya on and off for a while. Recently two very respected rabbanim recommended that this would be best for our family. My oldest daughter is nearly 12. She has typical Bais Yaakov ivrit skills. While it would be nice to say she'll be fluent before we get there, that probably won't happen. I am looking for areas with Anglos in and around Yerushalayim, and school options for English speakers. I am not averse to homeschooling my older kids as needed, but I will have to mainstream them at some point. Are there people who tutor? Any remedial programs to help kids get up to snuff at their age level?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 2:50 pm
What's JPF?

Send your kids to regular school. The socializing is the most important thing - otherwise they'll hate it here. You should definitely move to a community with a lot of anglos - Ramat Beit Shemesh seems to be the popular choice. As Olim, your kid will get extra help in school and you can find a tutor too. Within a year, they'll be Israeli

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 2:51 pm
Sanguine wrote:
What's JPF?

Send your kids to regular school. The socializing is the most important thing - otherwise they'll hate it here. You should definitely move to a community with a lot of anglos - Ramat Beit Shemesh seems to be the popular choice. As Olim, your kid will get extra help in school and you can find a tutor too. Within a year, they'll be Israeli

Just Plain Frum

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 2:53 pm
Sanguine wrote:
What's JPF?

Even my oldest? Everyone keeps warning me about bringing older kids on aliya. I feel like I'm doing something awful to them. It wasn't possible before this.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
Even my oldest? Everyone keeps warning me about bringing older kids on aliya. I feel like I'm doing something awful to them. It wasn't possible before this.

12 isn't that old. Is she friendly and outgoing? Moving to an anglo community will really help cause she'll find a few girls who will speak English to her at first. If she's very introverted and doesn't have many friends now too, then she might have a problem.

You have to look at your own kids and be honest. If they have a lot of friends now they'll make friends in Israel too. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of anglos. Our kids actually prefer to speak Hebrew but speak English with new Olim. But they don't automatically like everyone. They'll be nice for a week but sometimes a kid comes who just never fits in. Kids like that, didn't really fit in in America either.

Are your kids bright? The schools help the kids catch up but it takes work. (they can be tutored during English class - they'll be years ahead in English Very Happy) .

Most important. Do your kids want to come on Aliya?

heidi

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:21 pm
We made aliyah when my oldest was 12. By the time he was 16, he slept over at friend's houses whose mothers almost died with shock when they heard him talk to me in English on the phone. That's how Israeli he is. 12 is not old. The worst thing you could do to your child is homeschool them. They have to meet other people, Israelis and Anglos-- they need friends and they need cultural models.
B'hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:24 pm
Sanguine wrote:
12 isn't that old. Is she friendly and outgoing? Moving to an anglo community will really help cause she'll find a few girls who will speak English to her at first. If she's very introverted and doesn't have many friends now too, then she might have a problem.

You have to look at your own kids and be honest. If they have a lot of friends now they'll make friends in Israel too. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of anglos. Our kids actually prefer to speak Hebrew but speak English with new Olim. But they don't automatically like everyone. They'll be nice for a week but sometimes a kid comes who just never fits in. Kids like that, didn't really fit in in America either.

Are your kids bright? The schools help the kids catch up but it takes work. (they can be tutored during English class - they'll be years ahead in English Very Happy) .

Most important. Do your kids want to come on Aliya?

All of my kids are friendly and outgoing (way more outgoing than me). They're pretty bright, although my son can be kind of clueless at times. He's in kindergarten this year, so it's probably not so bad. My kids all want to come (at least the ones old enough to understand the concept). We've talked about aliya as an idea for years.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
All of my kids are friendly and outgoing (way more outgoing than me). They're pretty bright, although my son can be kind of clueless at times. He's in kindergarten this year, so it's probably not so bad. My kids all want to come (at least the ones old enough to understand the concept). We've talked about aliya as an idea for years.
Sounds perfect! When do you want to come? (You know that school starts tomorrow? Scratching Head ) - I assume next summer. Good it will give you time to find the right community and right schools for your kids. Looks like none of the other Israeli imamothers are around - guess they're getting ready for 1st day of school!! They'll give you a lot of advice

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:49 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Sounds perfect! When do you want to come? (You know that school starts tomorrow? Scratching Head ) - I assume next summer. Good it will give you time to find the right community and right schools for your kids. Looks like none of the other Israeli imamothers are around - guess they're getting ready for 1st day of school!! They'll give you a lot of advice

Yeah, I can't imagine pulling my kids out of school in the middle of a school year. The summer sounds like a good goal.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 4:47 pm
RBS sounds like the perfect fit for you. LOTS of english speakers and lots of JPF or just orthodox families.

November

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 6:14 pm
I would suggest looking at Magen Avot for your daughter. Really nice families, and they seem to know what they are doing when it comes to olim kids. Be prepared to pay extra for extra Hebrew language classes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions