Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Security Object???

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:17 pm
Lately my 1 year old has become attached to a particular stuffed animal. We are kind of encouraging it and it seems to help her fall asleep exc, but we are unsure if this is a smart thing to do in the long run. Is it possible for her to become too attached to it? In the long run with this be a problem?

What are your thoughts and feelings about security objects?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:23 pm
It's an extremely smart thing to do! If your child ever needs to sleep in a hotel, by relatives, or stay with a sitter, the security object will help ease the transition.

I've never known a blankie for stuffy to harm a child's emotional development in any way. Quite the contrary.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:46 pm
The only concern is what would happen if the stuffed animal got lost or destroyed. If you remember where you got it, you may want to go buy a second one as backup while you still can.

I was thrilled when DD (as an infant) got attached to her burp cloths which were easily interchangeable and washable. I have a nephew who got attached to a handknit blanket, which ended up being a complete disaster. DD later got attached to a particular teddy bear, so much so that we had to bring the bear to my brother's wedding (all dressed up, of course). We tried to gently remove it before walking down the aisle with DD, but she freaked out. So we walked down the aisle with me holding a bouquet and DH holding DD who was holding the bear. The pictures were adorable, but my mother was not so thrilled.

Amother because anyone who knows me knows that story.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:47 pm
All of my siblings had either a stuffed animal or blankie. We slept with our blankie/ animal every night. We took it everywhere. Like FF wrote it made sleeping at grandparents homes easier. It made nap time in playgroup easier. My parents never took it away from us, we stopped on our own when we were embarrassed to be seen with it in front of friends.
No I dont remember all this from when I was a baby. I asked my mom.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:35 pm
Ooooh, excellent point on having backups! Absolutely a must, or epic meltdowns will ensue. (BTDT)

If the item is a big blanket, it can be cut into smaller sections and hemmed. Rotate them, so that the texture and scent are consistent. If a stuffy, as soon as you figure out which one is the favorite, rush out and buy a couple more!

mochacoffee

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:42 am
I don't know what I'd do without my kids bunny blankys. Lets just say mommy will be the one crying. As for backups - do it now! Once I saw that my kids were getting attached (I'm talking never letting go), I ordered a second set of these blankys. Especially when I have to wash them, the kids use the second set. It's funny though when I first got the new blankys, my son didn't recognize it as the same blanky because it was so clean!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 2:18 am
1. Get backup set.
2. Rotate backup set with regular one so that they cannot be differentiated if one goes missing!

(From a mom whom wishes she'd known this when her kids were small LOL )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics