Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tongue Tie Help

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 12:59 pm
My baby is 2 wks old. His tongue seems tied, with some membrane... /he s nursing okay but stops often. He also gags on the pacifier.

My dr says that its all normal for a baby and I should leave it alone. Even whn I went back with all my concerns he says that 90 percent fix themselves and I shouldn't touch it. I feel like it could be a potential problem for his speech later on.

Do I take my baby to another dr for a 2nd opinion?
Do I just let him grow out of it?
He s gaining weight, but his nursing is not always so straight, with many breaks... Am I forgetting what a newborn is like or is this a sign of a potential problem? I am also desperate for him to take a pacifier...

Plz help me figure out what to do! Thx!

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 1:25 pm
It will probably not affect his speech, but it will affect his nursing. Get it clipped ASAP, because your milk supply will dwindle and you will have a hungry, gassy baby on your hands. Also, the sooner you clip it, the less it hurts for the baby. Somehow, pediatricians have some unhelpful and clueless ideas regarding nursing in general and regarding tongue-ties in particular.

ally

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:06 am
Can you get a lactation consultant to look at how the baby is latching and feeding? If the tongue tie is minor and the baby can still stick out its tongue and latch on well, you may not need to cut it. But if it is affecting feeding at all - you should snip it and the sooner the better.
If the baby can feed, from what I understand, it shouldn't be severe enough to affect speech. But I am not a professional.

naomi2

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 4:52 am
Just clip it! There are no cons to it. It can only help. Its a two seconed thing.

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 7:36 am
Get an appointment with a pediatric ENT or pediatric dentist to evaluate. My baby had one (it was clipped in the end) and his pediatrician was like "it's fine but I do recommend you see an ENT" so we went to one and B"H she was able to deal with the tongue tie then and there in the office. It was no biggie and it made a difference in his nursing 360 degrees. He used to nurse for so long and would often fall asleep during nursing, and he wasn't very interested like babies are supposed to love nursing but he wasn't. After the revision, he LOVED to nruse and would open his mouth and root and all that. Ahh BH it was fixed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics