Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Beef With Broccoli or any chinese style meat
1  2  Next

rd5081

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 10:02 pm
Hi, im forever buying all kinds of Chinese beef combo's in the restaurants served over fried rice. They seem so simple to make but I dont know where to start, what kinda meat... Does anyone have an exact recipe for something like beef with broccoli? My husband loves meat and veggies for supper, he tries not to eat carbs, so if I can get a variety of such kind of suppers would be great!!! Thanks

mandr

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 10:43 pm
I make the one from the Bais Yakov cookbook and it's our family's favorite supper, or one of them at least. I make it for Rosh Chodesh and then whenever else we could use it Smile

4-6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lb pepper steak
Salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, sliced
1 carrot , julienned
1 zucchini, peeled and julienned
1 cup broccoli
1 cup fresh button mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1. Heat vegetable oil in a large wok over high heat. Season meat with salt and pepper. Ad to hot wok, and stir fry until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove meat from pan and keep warm.

2. Add onion, carrot, zucchini, broccoli and mushrooms to the same hot pan and sauté 5 minutes or until soft. Return meat to the wok. Toss with the vegetables. Remove the wok from heat and cover to keep warm.

3. Whisk cornstarch and water mix, with soy sauce, honey and crushed rd pepper flakes in a small saucepan over low heat. Bring to a boil; cook until thickened.

4. Place meat and vegetables on a plate. Pour sauce over the meat

That's their recipe, but here are my changes:

I cook the beef in a wok with a little oil and about a cup or two of water for ONE HOUR over low heat. I do this the night before so that I don't waste time on that by day. There is no way the meat is done and SOFT in just a few minuets as they suggest. Really!

I do this recipe with a little over 1 lb of pepper steak. I use two onions. I scrub the zucchini with soapy water and then slick them instead of peeling and juilienning.

I don't heat the sauce in a separate pot because why make another pot dirty if you can get the same effect this way - just mix it well!

I add the sauce to the pot and stir it. Then I serve over rice.

Enjoy!!

rd5081

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:45 pm
Thanks so much!!! Those added tips are very much appreciated!!!

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:58 pm
mandr, is this the pepper steak recipe?
IMHO the best recipe I've ever tasted.
I LOVE your additions to the recipe. Gonna totally try it that way. Maybe even for YT.
Thanks

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:59 pm
If you dredge meat or chicken in cornstarch before stir frying, it keeps more tender.

dimyona

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:59 pm
This sounds sooooo good. Thanks, mandr.

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:14 am
debsey wrote:
mandr, is this the pepper steak recipe?
IMHO the best recipe I've ever tasted.
I LOVE your additions to the recipe. Gonna totally try it that way. Maybe even for YT.
Thanks

No, this isn't the pepper steak recipe. It's called Beef with Broccoli Stir Fry or something like that. Why? I don't know. The main ingredient is not broccoli, but whatever!

It's so delicious. Really.

If you have a baby, do what I do. Before adding the sauce mixture (which has honey in it), take off a few spoonfuls of the stir fry and then blend it (I used an immersion blender but a regular one would be fine too). Then you have instant "beef and veggies" suppers! Freeze in small baby food containers. My baby loved it. I tasted it and it needed salt but he didn't mind at all.

rd5081

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:12 pm
Can I freeze it ready as well? does it freeze well?? Not the baby style, regular style.

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:40 pm
rd5081 wrote:
Can I freeze it ready as well? does it freeze well?? Not the baby style, regular style.

Sure. When I make it, it yields two supper's worth so I freeze the other half in a quart-size plastic container. When I want to eat it, I thaw it in the fridge overnight and by the time I'm ready to prepare, I just put the slushy mixture into a pot and it's ready in about 10 minutes.

rd5081

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 1:42 pm
Mandr...
When cooking the meat do you cook it with the wok covered??? Any times I keep the wok uncovered?

rd5081

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 1:54 pm
mandr...
another question... Do u discard the water u used to cook the pepper steak in after its cooked for an hour?

checkbefore

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 1:56 pm
this is a big hit by us
http://rainydaygal.com/2011/02.....coli/

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 2:04 pm
rd5081 wrote:
mandr...

When cooking the meat do you cook it with the wok covered??? Any times I keep the wok uncovered?

another question... Do u discard the water u used to cook the pepper steak in after its cooked for an hour?

I keep the wok uncovered until it gets a good simmer. Once it's bubbling nicely, I cover it almost all the way.

By the time it's finished cooking there isn't much juice left, but if there is I discard it.

busymom

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 2:29 pm
checkbefore wrote:
this is a big hit by us
http://rainydaygal.com/2011/02.....coli/

Thanks! Looks like a great recipe. Just wondering: the short cook time they give is enough to make the meat soft?

And thanks mandr for your recipe. I copied to my recipe box. Smile

checkbefore

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 2:31 pm
The marinade tenderizes the meat

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 7:52 pm
I've made it both ways. Mandr's way is MUCH better. YUM> it was an awesome supper tonight!

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 8:20 pm
debsey wrote:
I've made it both ways. Mandr's way is MUCH better. YUM> it was an awesome supper tonight!
thanks so much for sharing that!

chaya35

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 8:28 pm
mandr in the cookbook it says you can do this also with chicken cutlets did you ever try it?

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 8:35 pm
chaya35 wrote:
mandr in the cookbook it says you can do this also with chicken cutlets did you ever try it?
no because in all my experience with chicken stir frys, the chicken always came out like erasers. Plus Dh loves beef. And Dolly W says to eat red meat.

cholenteater

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:24 pm
There are many different types of sauces by the brand Asian Menu that have recipes on the back. They are quick and easy to follow plus the sauce is delicious. Check it out!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics