Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Keeping kid back/ speech issue/huge class wwyd?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 8:22 pm
So this is my story: My delicious 6.5 yr old is now going into Grade 1. He's more of a sensitive quiet kid(even though his rebbe said he became very leibidig last year) Anyways he had a speech delay, his speech is not that clear and he stutters...it is getting better bli at in hora bit still there. We e working on it, here we don't have to many programs, I have friends that r telling me I must hire privately and pay the $ even though I can't afford it, bec thats the way it will et resolved. I am able to have from the gov at mial.To top that off he's in a class of 29 which is huge here and I spoke to the principal last yr about dividing the class but was unsuccessful. My questions r: a) should I keep him back? Bec of the large class...the class under is alot smaller. But on the other hand he would be bored learning kriah again! Dh doesn't think this is the solution, he feels like it would put him down. He is doing very well BH academically, socially, I think fine according to the rebbe( he claims BH the kids accept him with his speech issues...) B) do I need to go privately and hire even though I don't have the$? (I want this problem to pass and not regret it later) dh doesn't really see the importance of it...( so that really helps the picture)! Anyways, I would appreciate some advice, preferably those with experience! The hard part is not knowing what is right to do. Thanks a lot for listening and tia!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 8:27 pm
I am putting my almost five year old into pre1a this year and his speech is really not clear. I was told that you don't hold back for a speeh delay if academically they are up to par. I was told that they will be bored in the classroom and just become the class troublemaker.

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:31 pm
I am in the field of education and I beg of you not to hold him back.

Retention has long been proven as largely unhelpful and mostly destructive.
Retention is not an intervention. I repeat: retention is not an intervention.

Regarding whether or not you should spend the money and get him the therapy.....that would be the intervention.
Unless there is a major social/maturity issue, I believe you will cause more harm then help.
Hatzlocha deciding on the therapy.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:51 pm
I am an SLP working in public school for many years and would not recommend holding over a child who is academically on grade level just because of class size. If he is struggling socially or being teased in his current class, then you may have to remedy that, but the size of his class will not keep him from learning. I would recommend speaking to his teachers about his issue and encouraging them to give him extra time responding to classroom material and to have a zero teasing or cutting off policy for your son. Hopefully, your child's teachers will be able to address classroom issues.
I am taking a stab in the dark and would say your son possibly has motor planning issues and possibly apraxia. Is there any way your health insurance would cover therapy with a diagnosis?

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:20 pm
I held back 2 of my kids, but if I were in your shoes, I would not hold back your DS. My boys had maturity issues and developmental delays. Your DS seems to be doing fine socially and academically outside of his slight speech issues. I agree with other posters -- ask for school support, and let him stay with his class. There can be benefits to a large class for a shy kid.

Getting insurance to cover speech therapy sounds like a good idea. I am curious what other therapists here will say; my experience is that they worry less about mispronounced sounds and stutters than they used to, and many disappear on their own or with minimal intervention.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:28 pm
Op here: I really appreciate everyone's responses.
A mother from 8:50 what makes you think he might have that what you mentioned? Do u have experience? Can I pm you possibly? I don't think I'm covered for that, I live in Canada, where we r on Ohip- government, don't think entitled to therapy for that, but will look into it and will ask my doctor iyh.
Thanks everyone! Could really use chizuk!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:53 pm
I only mentioned that as a possibility because you said he has poor articulation and stuttering which may coexist if there are motor planning problems. Not necessarily as they can be unrelated but it can also be due to oral/global coordination problems.
How is your child's overall muscle tone/coordination/balance/athleticism?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
I only mentioned that as a possibility because you said he has poor articulation and stuttering which may coexist if there are motor planning problems. Not necessarily as they can be unrelated but it can also be due to oral/global coordination problems.
How is your child's overall muscle tone/coordination/balance/athleticism?

I think his overall muscle tone/balance is fine... He just learnt to ride a bike!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children