Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
So embarrassed my check bounced

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 6:42 pm
embarrassed embarrassed

Before the summer we were very tight financially, one week, I needed to make a small purchase and asked my husband if there was money in the bank to cover, this was for a local store, that I know the owners.
my hub gave me the ok, made the purchase and moved on.....
The women from the store just called to say the check bounced! a $50 check, I'm mortified!
(this women knows me, and we don't give off the poor impression, hub has good job etc... just was going thru a rough period.....)

omg!!!!!!!!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 6:48 pm
Oy.

Well just pay her - plus the fee her bank charged her for making a bad deposit. You are also out the fee your bank charged you for bouncing a check.

I have a dislike of overdraft credit lines, as they charge 18 percent interest, immediately, no grace period, and it can get expensive.

Some banks will freeze the needed amount in a linked savings account, and then honor the check. But then you have to have the money in savings.

Please don't do this too much, or the bank has every right to just not do business with you at all, and close your account. They don't want bouncings, even though they get the fee, and they warn you about that in the fine print, when you open the account.

If you can get an overdraft credit line, and promise yourself you will only use it once a year, for little stuff like this, that's fine.

Feel better. It does hurt.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 7:11 pm
It can happen to anyone. I'm sure the store owner understands that it was probably just poor timing error or something and is only interested in getting the money she is owed. You'll pay her, she'll forget it, and don't pay by check in that store again because they might not take it and that would get a little more embarrassing.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 7:22 pm
talk about embarressing... I had my $25 check for the mikva bounce.....................
I don't take care of finances, and my dh is not always on top of things.........

Didi

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 3:40 am
I bounced an $18 check at the mikvah, was mortified. I went to bring them cash right away and explained how mortified I was, The lady in charge of finances tells me that it happens all the time, and I shouldn't feel bad. She also mentioned that their are a few peoples who's checks have bounced so many times they just don't bother depositing them anymore.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 7:56 am
I had a huge check I wrote to the caterer for the balance of dc's bar mitzvah but the bank messed up the transfer of funds into the right account. I explained and they were extremely understanding. I then sent them a bank check so they'd know how bad I felt and that they didn't need to be concerned.

nyer1

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:33 am
Don't sweat it. It happens to the best of us. Doesn't necessarily tell anyone u are going through a rough time financially. People don't think of it that way automatically. Sometimes just means u forgot to transfer money into a specific account etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics