Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
If you are a teacher with little kids....

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:13 pm
How do you manage the different vacation days??

Ok, I am starting to freak out here a little bit. I've never dealt with this be4, and my dh is a doctor so he is never around.
I took a year break from teaching after we moved to a new city, and I got a job at a very 'different' school (to put it gently) anyways my 4 year old's schedule is completely opposite mine.
winter vacation is different, chanuka is different, and she finishes a week earlier than I do!!

I know I know, I shouldn't be freaking out about this now...but I just got my schedule today (and school starts tomorrow) and I am so overwhelmed.

Please calm me down.

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:18 pm
Do you think you'll have personal days or PTO that you can use? even one or 2 for the different vacations? It's hard but perhaps there will be other kids in her class whose parents have similar problems either they'll have a communal babysitting solution or perhaps she'll make friends and she can go play at someone else's house. Don't panic yet

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:27 pm
It's HARD. My DH travels so he often isn't available.

In my community there are a few places that run a winter break "camp" and a pesach babysitting camp. They are run by teens so I couldn't send my baby, but they were fantastic programs for my bored 5 year old.

On early dismissal days (or when my babysitter wasn't available last year) I sometimes was able to bring my daughter to school with me and we had teachers rotate between watching the kids in an empty classroom. It's not the best option, but sometimes you do what you have too.

rzab

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:31 pm
I'm in the same situation, it is very stressful at times, but manageable. I still get stressed out before vacations, but I know that it always works out in the end.

here are some things that have worked for us:

1. I found a drop off babysitter in the area who normally takes babies, but she was willing to take my kids for the random off days.

2. usually when my kids have off, the hs that a lot of kids go to from there also have off, I've hired hs girls to babysit on those days

3. in my area a lot of people have nannies, well before vacation I start asking around who is going away during vacation and finding out if I can hire their nanny for the week

4. a playdate- but that only works if you aren't working a whole day

5. I have a few friends who don't work, I've asked them to babysit- and I pay them.

Good luck!

morah

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:43 pm
I am a high school teacher, so I'm not always on the same schedule as my kids. Even every day, I need to rely on after care, because high school runs later than preschool. Our days off mostly work out, but each break seems to have some extra days on one end or the other. All I can say is, at least you have a calendar in front of you. You know these days are coming, so get cracking on making appropriate arrangements!
I started back at school yesterday, DS only starts tomorrow. Since I have a baby too, I just sent them both to the babysitter that the baby goes to anyway these last two days for just a few extra bucks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics