Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift suggestions for the mother after birth, not clothing
Previous  1  2

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 7:21 am
The cleaning help was a great idea. Especially with RH coming up.

smss

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 9:32 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
All of the above are great suggestions. I also received once a care basket, which was sooooo nice and amazing!

Included was:
magazines
a new novel
pair of slippers
nosh
chocolate
homemade cookies
nice smelling soaps
Lanolin
sleeping mask
earplugs

this is such a great idea, I would totally appreciate that. also you can't go wrong with an amazon gift card ;-)

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:57 am
My favorite gift was a box of chocolates from a gourmet chocolatier. I was so touched by that and it was excellent snacking while nursing. I had my baby right near my bday so some friends gave me birthday presents Smile

I'd also recommend an Amazon card. Even $25 is good enough - the mom can buy whatever she wants. But she'd probably use the money for baby stuff, not for herself.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 11:06 am
Gift certificate to a store for new tichel/robe/nightgown.
This may run a lot more than $40 though, but I know that type of thing might be very appreciated.

NaNachChick

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 11:13 am
make up, nail polish, little toiletries trinkets like funky deodorants, glitter stuff etc.

a nice snood or tichel or turban (whatever she wears). and

chocolate chip cookies and fancy chocolates etc. or the husband/nursing- U pillow if she doenst have one

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 11:54 am
Someone gave me a gift of diapers and a few necessities like that along with flowers. Loved it as it showed thoughtfulness and I like seeing flowers on the table all week. Something for the baby and something for me! I ditto the gift for siblings. Maybe offer her a meal? If you live out of the area, maybe you can order from a restaurant locally and they deliver?

Twinster

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:20 pm
momX4 wrote:
mani pedi!

I got this from a friend and it was one of the best gifts I received.

boysrus

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:28 pm
babysmum wrote:
the best baby gifts iv'e got were toys and a magazine subscription.

This !

one of my favorite gifts would be a subscription to bbinah or mishpacha from somebody who knows that I love to read but cancelled all my subscriptions last year due to decrease in income and having to cut expenses!

wifenmother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:45 pm
I once got a mini perfume; much appreciated. There's one individual who always buys stuff for my older kids - they've been treated to ice cream (summer baby) and various toys/games.

masalapeanuts

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:50 pm
No actual gifts...no no no no no no. Unless you give a gift receipt. I got so many useless gifts or gifts that were multiples. Get your friend an Amazon gift card. She can get anything from Amazon. If you don't want to do Amazon, perhaps Babies Are Us or some other baby store.

Or you could call her and say that you at the bakery and are getting her pie/cake/whatever and want to know which kind she wants. If she says she doesn't want anything or doesn't answer, get an assortment of small things and at least her DH and other kids can enjoy them.

Or ask if you can set her up for a meal train (http://www.mealtrain.com/?a=aw&gclid=CMe8rfLaxcACFYk-Mgods2MAdA).

But really, I would want an Amazon gift card. Perhaps that's because only one or two people actually got me things from the baby registry so I still needed a whole bunch of things that I...needed...as opposed to...didn't need.

Even better, call her husband and ask if she has a baby registry/wish list and choose something from that.

Pooh

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 8:25 pm
I got a gift certificate for massage mani and pedi. It was an awesome gift but complicated to figure out of the logistics of leaving my baby so I can go pamper myself

Teacher_EW

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 9:33 pm
I had my first baby 7 weeks ago, and there were some gifts that really stood out....

I had a registry, so people knew what I wanted, but I would highly recommend these...
-My Brest Friend nursing pillow
-Blooming bath - a plush flower shaped bath for inside the sink
-Aden + Anais muslin swaddle blankets (pack of 4 is about $35) and the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" (about $10) These two go together because a big part of the book is about swaddling
-Mobile
-Playmat

Some gifts I didn't register for but got were...
-Buy Buy Baby gift card (That store has EVERYTHING! I used a few gift cards together to buy the Mamaroo.)
-A box of size 1 pampers waiting for me when I got home

I would not recommend buying a blanket for your friend because I got 4 (!), but you have to know her and know what she likes.

I saw someone else recommended a mani pedi and I would have LOVED that!!! There is a service called MySpa2Go that comes to your house, but they are more expensive and you have to check if they service your area.

Good luck and mazal tov to your friend!

Teacher_EW

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 10:13 pm
(cont. from previous post)

I also got a child size (not infant size) hooded towel which is amazing because I use it now and will still be able to use it in 3-5 years from now... My friend bought it in Pottery Barn Kids and had it monogrammed with my baby's name.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics