Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift from mother in law after giving birth or anytime
Previous  1  2

Teacher_EW

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:39 am
My MIL knew I was looking for a nice wrap robe (to wear over PJs when walking around), so she brought a GORGEOUS one to the hospital when she came to visit. She also bought a really nice and soft blanket for the baby. I'll use it when it gets colder.

My MIL also has a whole collection of baby clothes that she has bought over the years. All of her children (and children in law) are welcome to take anything they want, use them, and return them when they are outgrown. I got a slightly used snowsuit for the winter and some gorgeous knit outfits for the Yomim Tovim from there!

More than the gifts, though, is the attitude. She is so openhearted and always offers me cooked suppers or babysitting help. It really makes all the difference!

mandr

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:49 am
She gave me perfumes a few times which I promptly give to my baby to play with (in the sealed box). I don't use perfumes that other people decide they like. I want what I like.

She has given me used pajamas - maybe from dh's days? - for my baby, which I don't either want to use when I can get him adorable brand new ones from children's place and gap for $4-$8?

Flatware that clashes terribly with everything I own since it's two-toned (why did they invent two-toned flatware?)

I really don't share her taste in gift-giving!

But after I had my baby she went to a baby store owned by a family member who advised her on what items to get and those were my best presents! A PUJ baby bathtub, a gorgeous grey minky blanket, pacifier clips, onesies (actually she did bring me Marks & Spencer onesies which I love!), and various other baby stuff.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
What was the best gift from your mother/mother in law after childbirth-not that a gift is a given-but if you did get tone what was the nicest you've gotten? Also nicest gift from mother in law in general?? TIA

The day I came home from the hospital with my oldest DD, my MIL (A"H) had a rocker/glider delivered to my house.

(I had a hard time with nursing, and was wondering just how I was going to manage...and that gave me such a boost.)

It was the best gift ever. I named my youngest after her, and when I used to nurse her in that same rocker I thought about my MIL A"H and how much I still enjoyed her gift, and how she was surely happy for me and my new baby.

ETA: Whew! I just realized this is an old thread and I already posted the same thing before! Guess threads go full circle. I still love that rocker, and hope to use it more.....

b from nj

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:24 pm
observer wrote:
I don't recall receiving gifts from my mil.

Me neither & I really wonder what the point of this thread is other than for some to brag & for others to feel badly that they never received gifts from their MILs...

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:14 pm
"Me neither & I really wonder what the point of this thread is other than for some to brag & for others to feel badly that they never received gifts from their MILs..."

Or to give MIL's some good ideas at gift giving.

vicki

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 2:10 pm
If I recall correctly my MIL gave me a flannel nightgown for a wedding present.

freidasima

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 2:34 pm
Over the years my MIL has given me jewelry, some more my taste, some less, but always tasteful, and money. Once years ago when I asked dh to get me a robe on a trip to NY she went with him as he had no idea where and what, and helped him pick out a gorgeous wrap around robe for me.

She gives money. Lots of it. And is very generous about it for various occasions.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics