Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Spinoff - I am completely overwelmed.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:36 pm
I am another new teacher. How do you get the girls to be quiet? How do you get them to stop talking during dovening?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:44 pm
I'm not a teacher so take my advice with a grain of salt,
but from what I can remember from my school days, is - firstly, start the year being strict. Really. I would say smile very minimally or not at all the first week or two. Secondly, at the first sign of misbehaving (talking, moving out of place...etc.) even if it's something that you know is not really so bad, you give a nice long peircing stare. (OMG how I hated those!) That really worked. You can also say something like "excuse me", or "there's no talking" Not a whole speech or anything just a few words said very abruptly and a stare. And then carry on.
That is what I would do if I were teaching.

hatzlacha!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:33 pm
Tell them a beautiful story about the power of tefillah. Talking during davening is unfortunately rampant in some communities and the kids don't have an appreciation for or a connection with Hashem. You need to give that to them. Also, don't leave the room or sit in your seat while they daven. Walk around and give tickets and do a drawing immediately after davening every day. Davening contests are nice but they need instant gratification. If it's not lishma now, hopefully it will become.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
but from what I can remember from my school days, is - firstly, start the year being strict. Really. I would say smile very minimally or not at all the first week or two. Secondly, at the first sign of misbehaving (talking, moving out of place...etc.) even if it's something that you know is not really so bad, you give a nice long peircing stare. (OMG how I hated those!) That really worked. You can also say something like "excuse me", or "there's no talking" Not a whole speech or anything just a few words said very abruptly and a stare. And then carry on.

hatzlacha!

Glad you aren't my kids' teacher. I'm a teacher (a successful one BH) and I can't stand teachers like the one you described.

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 3:24 am
You have to make them want to daven. You have to teach them why it's a privilege that we get to daven and not make it out that they have to be quiet for the teacher's sake.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 7:12 am
Only half the class are my students. The other half comes in for mincha. I feel funny sushing them because that is disturbing. I am overwelmed by their lack of consideration.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 7:23 am
amother wrote:

hatzlacha!

My 4th grader came home from school the first day in tears. "Im not going back to school. My teacher is so mean. All she did was yell. She doesnt know how to talk." Shes been upset since she started.

Sorry, but having a daughter who has a teacher with teaching skills like you suggest(and I dont know yet, if she'll become nicer over time) your advice is HORRIBLE.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
My 4th grader came home from school the first day in tears. "Im not going back to school. My teacher is so mean. All she did was yell. She doesnt know how to talk." Shes been upset since she started.

Sorry, but having a daughter who has a teacher with teaching skills like you suggest(and I dont know yet, if she'll become nicer over time) your advice is HORRIBLE.

Yup it's teachers like that who made me hate school ever since I can remember

dimyona

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:00 am
I was a teacher for two years, and I completely understand the feeling. On the first day of school, before I even walked into class, I found the entire class pressed against the door and blocking me from entering. I needed the principal's assistance with this, who then decided to observe me in the classroom for the next 30 minutes as I was gathering my shredded dignity and trying to go about my first icebreaker lesson without my voice quivering too much. I found myself fighting tears many times that year, but teaching that class has turned out to be one of the most rewarding experiences I've had, and I think both sides of the desk learned a lot. I'm still in touch with those students to this day.

Looking back, I would suggest keeping a bit more distance for the first couple of weeks until you have a chance to get to know them. After that, you can let your guard down a bit more, and really give it your all. Be firm, and don't ever allow arguments in class. If there's something that needs to be fleshed out, whether it's academic or personal, it should be done one on one. For talking during davening, and things like that, motivational contests work wonders with younger children. With high schoolers it's harder to enforce, and if they lack basic maturity it must be really difficult. If the disruptions are inevitable, I think I would rather leave the classroom or switch classes with another teacher for that time rather than have my authority compromised or risk losing my cool. And I think they'd behave better with a stranger.

Wishing you the best of luck. You can do this!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:03 am
dimyona wrote:
I was a teacher for two years, and I completely understand the feeling. On the first day of school, before I even walked into class, I found the entire class pressed against the door and blocking me from entering. I needed the principal's assistance with this, who then decided to observe me in the classroom for the next 30 minutes as I was gathering my shredded dignity and trying to go about my first icebreaker lesson without my voice quivering too much. I found myself fighting tears many times that year, but teaching that class has turned out to be one of the most rewarding experiences I've had, and I think both sides of the desk learned a lot. I'm still in touch with those students to this day.

Looking back, I would suggest keeping a bit more distance for the first couple of weeks until you have a chance to get to know them. After that, you can let your guard down a bit more, and really give it your all. Be firm, and don't ever allow arguments in class. If there's something that needs to be fleshed out, whether it's academic or personal, it should be done one on one. For talking during davening, and things like that, motivational contests work wonders with younger children. With high schoolers it's harder to enforce, and if they lack basic maturity it must be really difficult. If the disruptions are inevitable, I think I would rather leave the classroom or switch classes with another teacher for that time rather than have my authority compromised or risk losing my cool. And I think they'd behave better with a stranger.

LOL I am a stranger. It was my very first day teaching. The other girls are not my girls. There is no one to switch. What do I actually say that doesn't interrupt dovening.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:10 am
dimyona wrote:

LOL I am a stranger. It was my very first day teaching. The other girls are not my girls. There is no one to switch. What do I actually say that doesn't interrupt dovening? Anything I say is disrupting itself.

dimyona

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
LOL I am a stranger. It was my very first day teaching. The other girls are not my girls. There is no one to switch. What do I actually say that doesn't interrupt dovening.

If these girls come from a limited religious background as you mentioned, I don't see how they can be pushed to daven. As radical as it sounds, I would suggest stating strongly that these 30 minutes are meant for silence, and dedicated for those who choose to daven. If someone has a hard time davening or doesn't see the point, they can read a book, write in their journal, and do anything in their seat that's not disruptive without any repercussions. If you have a test that day, make sure to give it before davening, otherwise they'll all be busy cramming. I would even prepare subject related work to hand out, and would start incorporating tfila lessons into the curriculum. Take 10 minutes out of chumash once or twice a week to go through the siddur, explain the history of each tfila and how it was compiled, translate, etc.

I think pushing davening too much will be counterproductive. Focus on the silence, and the davening may come on its own. You have a lot more to lose by being made a fool, which could detract from the respect you deserve and prevent any learning from happening that day, or even year.

I also think "tfila awards" are wrong. They always turn out to be a show about who can daven a longer shmona esrei or push their siddur harder against their face. It's between them and G-d, and you should keep it that way. Your only role is enforcing decorum.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:40 am
dimyona wrote:
If these girls come from a limited religious background as you mentioned, I don't see how they can be pushed to daven. As radical as it sounds, I would suggest stating strongly that these 30 minutes are meant for silence, and dedicated for those who choose to daven. If someone has a hard time davening or doesn't see the point, they can read a book, write in their journal, and do anything in their seat that's not disruptive without any repercussions. If you have a test that day, make sure to give it before davening, otherwise they'll all be busy cramming. I would even prepare subject related work to hand out, and would start incorporating tfila lessons into the curriculum. Take 10 minutes out of chumash once or twice a week to go through the siddur, explain the history of each tfila and how it was compiled, translate, etc.

I think pushing davening too much will be counterproductive. Focus on the silence, and the davening may come on its own. You have a lot more to lose by being made a fool, which could detract from the respect you deserve and prevent any learning from happening that day, or even year.

I also think "tfila awards" are wrong. They always turn out to be a show about who can daven a longer shmona esrei or push their siddur harder against their face. It's between them and G-d, and you should keep it that way. Your only role is enforcing decorum.

These are BY girls. It is for 10 minutes of mincha.

dimyona

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
These are BY girls. It is for 10 minutes of mincha.

Sorry, I confused you with the other OP. My apologies. I would do the same thing though, just say it has to be absolutely quiet for the next 10 minutes for whoever is davening mincha. Don't worry about their davening, just about keeping decorum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics