Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to get rid of fruit flies, fast, please!!!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 6:52 pm
My house is infested with fruit flies. It is very embarrassing. I need quick help...please! Fast and easy and safe around kids. Thanks.

artz

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 6:57 pm
first check if there is any food that is rotten because that brings those flies then an idea that I did was if you have a dust buster I vaccumed them up

ckk

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 7:19 pm
Following.
My apt is also infested even when its squeaky clean.

I'm going out of my mind!

ectomorph

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 7:24 pm
1. Take all the fruit and veggies you have lying outside, and keep them ONLY in the refrigerator. This will prevent the infestation from becoming worse.

Eggs are laid in the skins of fruit and veggies and they cannot hatch in the cold environment of the refrigerator.

2. Get those sticky hanging things. This will get rid of most of the fruit flies you have hanging around in a few days.

We also tried some other traps but ultimately this is what worked.

ariellabella

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:05 pm
Have you tried the cone of paper in a cup of wine or grape juice trick yet?

chatouli

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:38 pm
Red wine vinegar (or balsamic) in a glass. Add a few drops of dish soap. Wake up to fruit fly graveyard. Make several traps if you have a big problem.

chatz

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:47 pm
chatouli wrote:
Red wine vinegar (or balsamic) in a glass. Add a few drops of dish soap. Wake up to fruit fly graveyard. Make several traps if you have a big problem.

yes. yes. yes. actually, any non-white vinegar works (don't forget the soap).

I have found different containers work differently. The beechnut baby jars work really great, if you have.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:52 pm
Does this trick work for mosquitos by any chance?

chatouli

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:53 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Does this trick work for mosquitos by any chance?

No Sad

Bsimcha

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:56 pm
chatouli wrote:

I did it with apple cider vineger and the drop of dish soap, was amazing, they were gone in 2 days.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 8:58 pm
chatouli wrote:
No Sad

Too bad. Sad

myself

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 5:51 am
I had fruit flies a while ago and was desperate to get rid of them quick. My solution? Walk around with a spray bottle of water and spray them again and again, they are so tiny that they can't survive the water. This method is also perfectly safe and felt more proactive then waiting for them to enter some sort of vinegar solution. I felt mean killing them though.

Let me know if it works for you.

Queen6

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 6:25 am
Fill up some cups with whiskey. Cover them tightly with Saran Wrap. Then cut tiny holes in the Saran Wrap. Place them all over your house. The flies will go in through the holes and die.
When you throw it out take them far away from your house - not your garbage or sink.
I don't know why this works but it does. My house was infested last year.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 1:08 pm
Open a black garbage bag and put melon rinds, salsa, or yogurt in it. Leave it open and leave the room for a couple of hours. Come back and quickly scrunch the top of the bag closed and run it outside. That'll get rid of most of them. Then get rid of whatever fruitflies are left in your house by getting your hands slightly wet and clapping your hands together to kill the fruitfly. You gotta be quick.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 2:01 pm
Queen6 wrote:
Fill up some cups with whiskey. Cover them tightly with Saran Wrap. Then cut tiny holes in the Saran Wrap. Place them all over your house. The flies will go in through the holes and die.
When you throw it out take them far away from your house - not your garbage or sink.
I don't know why this works but it does. My house was infested last year.

I do this will apple cider vinegar and a drop of soup and some water instead of whiskey. I use a fork to cut the holes and wrap the seran wrap with a rubberband and cut the extra seran wrap off (so there aren't pieces of seran wrap the flies can hang out on). It's very effective

sky

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 2:50 pm
I combine a few of these.

Water and apple cider vinegar in a cup (the water is just to dilute the apple cider vingegar so it isn't so expensive) and a drop of dish soap to break the water tension.
put the cup in a plastic bag and seal and punch holes on top, large enough for the bugs to enter easily. The get trapped in the plastic, and drown because of the soap in the water.
It really works.

Put all fruits and veggies and bread in the fridge.
And to keep them from coming back I was told to wash incoming fruits and veggies sitting out, like the watermelon that may have eggs.

Good luck. I have it lots and hate it.

imamazing

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 2:55 pm
An exterminator once told a friend of mine to pour bleach down her sink drains... it seems like fruit flies fester or multiply down there. the bleach kills whatever they re feeding off of. Sure enough when I tried it a few nights in a row, my fruit flies were gone... weird but it works.

WorkingMother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 5:52 pm
[quote="myself"]I had fruit flies a while ago and was desperate to get rid of them quick. My solution? Walk around with a spray bottle of water and spray them again and again, they are so tiny that they can't survive the water. This method is also perfectly safe and felt more proactive then waiting for them to enter some sort of vinegar solution. I felt mean killing them though.
[/quote]

I do the same - but I spray them with Windex!

ariellabella

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 6:11 pm
OK, why did I get a hug?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry