Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Feel like I'm giving my child an eating disorder
Previous  1  2

friedmana1

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 9:41 am
In our house, the protein must always be eaten first. I came to this conclusion because we had the same thing happen in our house - My kids would eat their carbs (or veggies) first, and the protein and/or veggie would be mostly untouched. Now I serve the protein first. When they are finished with their protein, they get veggies. When the veggies are done and they still are hungry, I offer a carb. Shabbos is a bit looser, but otherwise, this is my policy. All the kids know it. We've discussed many times how the protein helps build our muscles, keeps us fuller longer, etc.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:08 pm
octopus wrote:
what kind of rice is it? If it's white rice I would be switching to brown rice or one of those mixed rices that are brown and black (I forgot what its called- someone help me out?). The whole grain rices are a lot more filling and have a lot of nutritional value. plus I would make a rule about seconds. If you are super strict I would say no seconds on the rice - this goes for everyone. If you are more flexible I would say ok to small seconds but that's it. no more. and make it a rule for everyone in the house.

I was going to ask the same thing about the type of rice-- if it's white I would stop having it in the house and only make brown. I don't think it's as addictive and she's young enough that she can forget about the other kind if you just stop serving it. You can stop serving potatoes too if she has the same problem with them.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:15 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I was going to ask the same thing about the type of rice-- if it's white I would stop having it in the house and only make brown. I don't think it's as addictive and she's young enough that she can forget about the other kind if you just stop serving it. You can stop serving potatoes too if she has the same problem with them.

Op here.
I serve either brown or basmati.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:28 pm
does she react the same with both or is it worse with the basmati?

smss

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:40 pm
OP, I'm reading this thread with interest, because I also struggle with my weight and struggle with modeling healthy habits for my kids. I'm not sure what advice to give you, but I did want to say that most of my struggles with eating are a result of my mother restricting unhealthy foods. I do think that the more you withhold something from a child, the more they want it, and once they are old enough to get it/cook it on their own, they will find a way to do so. I really don't know what the answer is. but I don't think this is it.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 5:21 pm
smss wrote:
OP, I'm reading this thread with interest, because I also struggle with my weight and struggle with modeling healthy habits for my kids. I'm not sure what advice to give you, but I did want to say that most of my struggles with eating are a result of my mother restricting unhealthy foods. I do think that the more you withhold something from a child, the more they want it, and once they are old enough to get it/cook it on their own, they will find a way to do so. I really don't know what the answer is. but I don't think this is it.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I withhold junk food from my kids. Not at all. They are allowed some of their favourites (maple-flavoured yogurts, chocolate chip banana muffins, etc.) during the week, and they get lollipops and gummies on shabbat. We also go for frozen yogurt and toppings with them once every other week or so. We are, by no means, a crazily restrictive family.

BUT...because I don't go crazy restricting junk food, I also feel an extra responsibility to make my meals healthy. So, what does this look like?

Sample breakfast:
Yogurt, fruit, granola

Sample lunch and snack for school:
Sandwhich with roasted turkey slices, fruit, veggies with dip, muffin, apple sauce

Sample dinner:
Grilled chicken breast, corn on the cob, steamed broccoli, raw veggies with dip

OR

Grilled salmon, Rice, roasted brussels sprouts (I promise my kids adore them!), roasted cauliflower with seasoning.

So, it's all healthy, but I'm not on some crazy macrobiotic diet or anything like that.

Sherri

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 5:53 pm
Piping up to add another shout-out to Ellyn Satter:
http://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/

OP, Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics