Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Would you try drugs? (marijuana)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:31 am
Not all shuls have this culture.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:32 am
Ruchel wrote:
schools still teach this.

ruchel, schools (and governments) teach a lot of things that are blatantly false, and some of these views are not based in science.

are you talking america? israel? UK?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
The drinking is hard drinking. The men drink until the bottles are finished. My Rabbi removes bottles from kiddish sometimes because the men can get stupid sloppy drunk. How is Purim in your community?

That does not happen here, not even on Purim.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:
I'm open to it. My husband is too.

I wud Wana try it only together with him and then some hanky panky...

To those 6 people who liked this, it was written by a guy. Guaranteed.

Anon because I don't need the culprit attacking me on the board.

StripedFlower

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:09 pm
sgmama wrote:
im mortified that "self respecting'' women are acting as if its the most normal thing in the world!!! what would you do if your 18 year old child was smoking weed in your backyard?? and as a side note, most women who admitted to smoking weed post amother. may I ask why?

Because it's shameful and ILLEGAL.

I wonder how many weed smokers like to complain about 'certain jewish groups' not paying taxes...

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:15 pm
StripedFlower wrote:
Because it's shameful and ILLEGAL.

I wonder how many weed smokers like to complain about 'certain jewish groups' not paying taxes...

it's not illegal in amsterdam. it's not illegal in colorado and washington state.

I don't recall anyone saying they wanted to smoke pot illegally.

StripedFlower

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:17 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
it's not illegal in amsterdam. it's not illegal in colorado and washington state.

I don't recall anyone saying they wanted to smoke pot illegally.

Don't be ridiculous.

How many of the people in this thread who did weed did so in Amsterdam or in the last couple of years in a faraway state?

Get real.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:19 pm
StripedFlower wrote:
Don't be ridiculous.

How many of the people in this thread who did weed did so in Amsterdam or in the last couple of years in a faraway state?

Get real.

most of the people who said they'd smoked pot said they did so pre-frum. of those who were interested, none said they would be smoking illegally.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:22 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
most of the people who said they'd smoked pot said they did so pre-frum. of those who were interested, none said they would be smoking illegally.

How do you know they were not frum? Did they say so?

I have heard shocking accounts of how boro park is full of men and women who smoke marijuana.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 11:44 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

Just to add, before you argued that it was legal, now you're arguing it was pre-frum....

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
Just to add, before you argued that it was legal, now you're arguing it was pre-frum....

I said that I believed the people who'd smoked pot had done so before they were frum.

I said that there are now places where pot is legal.

I never said a frum person did anything illegal.

I believe the thread began because someone was thinking about smoking pot in amsterdam.

there are nine threads interweaving throughout this whole thread, so if you want to know what my position is I've laid it out, above.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 12:05 am
amother wrote:

additionally, if you're going to accuse me of being a hypocrite, you need to do so under your OWN NAME. doing so as amother is against the TOS of this site.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 1:30 am
I'm one of the amothers who used to smoke pot. I did not mention that I was not observant at the time. When I smoked pot before I was observant I loved it. I have done it twice since being chozeret and I hated it both of those two times.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:52 am
can you posters read my post on "dd using medical marajuana"?

my 20 yrs is using it. How would those of you feel? OP, how would you feel if your adult child did? or those of you who say its ok?

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:13 pm
As one of my favorite writers, P. J. O'Rourke, said, "It's hard to say something bad about a drug that makes teenage boys drive slower."

Obviously, cultural attitudes toward marijuana have changed considerably in the past 30-40 years, and there is ample evidence that they will change even further.

A huge number of cities in the US have "decriminalized" marijuana, meaning in practical terms that anyone caught possessing a small amount receives the equivalent of a traffic violation. Law enforcement has no interest in dealing with it.

The college town where I grew up did this a few years ago, instituting a $200 fine. This, coincidentally, came at the same time they unveiled plans for a palatial new police headquarters. Cui bono, indeed!

Personally, I am far more concerned about alcohol abuse in the frum community. When asked publicly about preventing alcohol abuse among teenagers, Rabbi Dr. Jerry Lob (whom I've mentioned before in connection with his work to combat s-xual abuse in Chicago), said cynically, "I can't even get the parents to use alcohol responsibly."

Whether or not excessive alcohol use is condoned in individual shuls, there is overall too much of a "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" attitude toward the problem.

Ultimately, people in otherwise good health have a problem if they find themselves routinely "needing" a brain stimulant or depressant to get through the day: Legal or illegal; prescribed or OTC; smoked or swallowed.

As for occasional, responsible use? I consider marijuana to be the more-or-less equivalent of alcohol. Would I try it if it were sold in the supermarket next the wine aisle? I'd probably end up doing the same thing I do in the wine aisle: pick up something appealing-looking, note the price, and decide it's not so appealing after all!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics