Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Need help with homeschooling ideas, online or tutors

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:49 pm
Homeschooling mothers I need your help.

Due to my son's learning disabilities I needed to pull him out of jewish day school (he's 8 and we live oot) and put him in public school. I had set him up with a tutor to help continue his jewish education but the tutor just informed me that he will be out of the country for the next few months while his father recovers from a illness. Is there a online resource for jewish home school learning that has lesson plans, ideas, etc. I never really looked into this as I had set up everything with his tutor and I have no teaching background.

links and experiences would be great

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:54 pm
Would you consider a tutor via skpe..

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 3:34 pm
Jewishonlineschool.com has online classes, private or with a group.

granolamom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 9:45 pm
you could also look at room613.net
I think most of their online classes are during the day, but iirc they also offer private tutoring

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:41 am
There is a yahoo group for Jewish Orthodox homeschoolers, you should join and ask your questions there, you will likely get a lot of good replies.

the e-mail is: jewishorthodoxandhomeschooling@yahoogroups.com

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 11:34 am
OP here- has anyone used room 613 or the jewish parenting net? I'm looking for reviews and experiences. Please remember I know nothing about these things. I have no teaching background. I've always been a bookkeeper.

granolamom

Post Sat, Sep 06 2014, 8:45 pm
I havent used either. and I've never had any teaching training or experience either.
re reading your initial post, I'm thinking that most online classes you will find will not take any sort of learning disability into account. one of my homeschooled kids probably falls into that category (even though we had him evaluated and he didnt qualify) and I will tell you that when it comes down to it, he needs someone who understands him, values him, and loves him enough to figure out how to reach him in the way he needs to be reached in order to learn. I'm assuming that there are some tried and true teaching techniques that special ed teachers learn, but believe it or not I've been doing a not-so-bad job of it myself. I think I'm doing it the hard way (trying a bazillion things until I reach a lightbulb moment) but short of going back to school myself, I see no other way right now. I read a LOT about how kids learn and different learning styles, etc etc these days too.
my son is doing well with a private rebbe a few hrs per week also because I carefully chose someone who had no preconceived notion of 'how children should be taught' and was willing to go along with my vision of what my son needed.
is it possible for you to find another tutor? even a temporary one? that would probably be more effective than online classes, imo.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 12:20 pm
I've used jewish parenting and been very happy with it. I've even called them with questions and theve been wonderful to work with. HTH

4Sisters

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:08 pm
My kids took classes for two years at room613 and we were very happy with Rabbi Resnick and the morahs. Give it a try!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling