Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Hillel high school in deal

sima

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 2:06 pm
Hi there posting for a relative that isn't computer savvy. She is looking into this high school for her DD.
Is it hard to get in? What's the tuition like? Do they give scholarships? They seem to be very academically oriented how much is expected of students? I see from browsing the website that it is coed. Where does the student/parent body fall into? Mostly MO I suppose? What are the kids like in general? Since it's in Deal I suspect that it is heavy Syrian. If anyone can just share any info I'd appreciate it.

thank you

OneSource

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 4:14 pm
I went to high school there. Honestly, it's not a bad school. From a frum standpoint, it's not ideal. The school is pretty split - heavy Syrian and light on the Ashkenazim. Academically, it's solid. The hebrew education is sufficient but there is a serious focus on english academics. Most kids go to college, a few get married and don't go at all but the bulk are college-oriented. It's pricey but they do give scholarships (although not much, from what I know of the place.) There is a big focus on money for the students - if you have it, you'll be one of the cool kids and if you don't, it's harder to fit in. Same with driving - if you have a car and it's a used toyota, you'll be with certain groups of your peers but if you have a BMW X5, you'll be hanging with others. Also, the kids are really modern. There were maybe, in total, five really frum (shomer negia) students when I was there and a minyan in the ashkenaz shul of about 20 boys. Again, cars, money and clothes were paramount when I was there. It was a very materialistic school when I was there. Might have changed - not likely, given that my former classmates are the parents of the current students - but hey, you never know.

sima

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 11:15 am
thanks for your response. Ugh not exactly what I would want in a school but it's not my child, and they live in the area and from what I've heard there are not many options. Correct me if I'm wrong. Another issue is that the child in question may or may not be halachikally Jewish, the mother's conversion is very questionable.......If it's a Syrian run school they may run into problems... oy

OneSource

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 11:23 am
Let's just say that I wouldn't send my own children there. Halacha doesn't seem to be the biggest concern there so a questionable conversion will not be a problem - so long as no one tells the school rav that. It's true though that there are not many options in the deal area. Overall, for english academics, he'll be fine. Hebrew academics, he won't be as strong as a boy from say, Lakewood, but he'll be learning something frum which is better than public school (which, Ocean Township has a VERY GOOD public school, btw). Wish your friend luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics