Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Can I freeze vol au vent cases

abound

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 12:19 pm
Do they freeze well? How can I freeze them and defrost?
Thanks

abound

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 6:25 am
bump

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:32 am
What is vol au vent?

abound

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:43 am
http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Volauvent.htm

etky

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:10 am
They freeze beautifully
Are you planning on making them from scratch? it's a ton of work...

abound

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:04 am
etky wrote:
They freeze beautifully
Are you planning on making them from scratch? it's a ton of work...

I was thinking of making it from bought puff pastry dough. Is that a crazy amount of work?

etky

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:09 am
abound wrote:
I was thinking of making it from bought puff pastry dough. Is that a crazy amount of work?

No, not crazy - certainly not like making it from scratch - but it's even easier to just buy the puff pastry pre-formed into the shells. Then all you have to do is pop them into the oven and make the filling. You can definitely freeze them after they are baked. They defrost quickly. Just make sure to reheat them well, preferably in the oven.

abound

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:12 am
etky wrote:
No, not crazy - certainly not like making it from scratch - but it's even easier to just buy the puff pastry pre-formed into the shells. Then all you have to do is pop them into the oven and make the filling. You can definitely freeze them after they are baked. They defrost quickly. Just make sure to reheat them well, preferably in the oven.

I'd love to buy preformed shells but not where I live, never saw them in the stores in Israel.

etky

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:22 am
http://www.mysupermarket.co.il.....D7%A8

There is also a brand called Yinon that makes them and possibly other brands too. I've seen both in Rami Levy .I don't know what hechshers they have though if that is an issue.

abound

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 3:56 pm
THank you so much!

etky

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:05 pm
Your welcome - and thank you for putting vol-au-vents back on my radar. I think I'll incorporate them into my Rosh Hashanah menu for a special treat. The kids really like them with mushroom sauce and diced hot dogs and I haven't made that in years.

kb

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:06 pm
etky wrote:
Your welcome - and thank you for putting vol-au-vents back on my radar. I think I'll incorporate them into my Rosh Hashanah menu for a special treat. The kids really like them with mushroom sauce and diced hot dogs and I haven't made that in years.

Do you have a recipe for that? Or is it one of the "some of this, some of that" recipes?

etky

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:21 pm
kb wrote:
Do you have a recipe for that? Or is it one of the "some of this, some of that" recipes?

It's extremely easy- you bake the vol-au-vents until they are puffy and brown - about half an hour.
The sauce is the packaged mushroom sauce (I use Knorr or Osem). I sautee an onion in a bit of oil (though you can skip the onion if you prefer) then add the sauce mix and water according to the instructions but I sub a small amount of white wine for some of the water. I also usually throw in some sliced mushrooms with the onion too.
The hot dogs (about 2 large hotdogs to 1 packet of sauce) I usually microwave, dice and throw into the sauce for a few minutes to finish cooking.
You pour the sauce over the vol-au-vents right before serving (or else they get mushy). I try to get the hot dog pieces to pile up in the well in the middle of each shell.

Rainbows613

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 5:43 pm
I buy my vol au vent cases in yesh. Maybe you can't find them because in Israel they are in the freezer-near the borekes.. can't remember what it's called in Ivrit but you'll see a pic on the package.

I make pastry cones with puff pastry. You need a metal cone-like an ice cream cone just in metal. You put a tiny bit of oil on the outside then you wrap round 1 layer of strips of puff pastry-bake till golden brown. Cool. Remove metal cone. They keep nicely for a week or so in an airtight container-or else freeze carefully. Then I serve it as a starter filled with liver or minced meat with mushroom sauce..

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 7:28 pm
If you are going to make them from frozen puff pastry, I would just keep the packet frozen until you make them, and then not refreeze after cooking, I would think they would go soggy when defrosting, even unfilled.

They are v v easy to shape from frozen puff pastry, just need two sizes of cookie cutter, small and larger, and put a large one at the bottom, with a ring/donut shape on top, and then bake. I don't think it's worth defrosting, shaping, refreezing and then defrosting again, it takes only ten minutes or so to make once defrosted, which can take a good hour, or overnight in the fridge.

We love vol au vents, a traditional part of any breaking a fast in my parent's home, with fresh mushroom sauce. Thanks for reminding me to buy the puff pastry this year!

(You can make puff pastry but it is an enormous faff and really not worth it unless you are seriously into baking and pastry, I have seen it done on cookery programmes and it is not hard, but takes time.......)

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 11:57 am
I buy them from the freezer section.

My mother stores them in the pantry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus